5830Re: [wpmac] Re: Any Advice for Porting WordPerfect 10 Documents to a Mac?

  • J Busch
    May 25, 2009
      I have lost three virtual machines under Fusion 2 (~Jan Build), two virtual machines with virtualbox and one with parallels 3.0. I had backups to recover from, but in my experience I trust Fusion less than Parallels. They each have issues from time to time. Try the demos out and choose what works for you.

      Jonathan
      Sent from my iPod

      On May 25, 2009, at 6:41, Chad Russell <boomslang@...> wrote:

      > Yes Randy, I was going to Cite the same results. As a side note,
      > current Fusion is faster than v3 Parallels, but v4 Parallels is faster
      > than both.

      The problem is that although Parallels 4 is faster than VMWare Fusion 2, it is still much "flakier" -- for example, the upgrader from Parallels 3 to 4 was so badly-written and poorly-tested that it managed to utterly destroy all my virtual machines (even those on a backup server that I had accidentally left mounted), requiring me to manually downgrade and restore all my PC files from offline backup.

      I then switched to VMWare Fusion 2 and imported the restored machines into it without a hitch.

      VMWare appears to have a superior beta-testing process, and -- in my experience -- produces a much more reliable product; perhaps this is the reason Fusion is slower than Parallels and has a somewhat smaller feature set. I finally got Parallels 4 running, and it is a faster, slicker product -- but I will never trust it again, and am going to stick with VMWare Fusion 2 for the foreseeable future.