5825Re: [wpmac] Any Advice for Porting WordPerfect 10 Documents to a Mac?

  • J Busch
    May 24, 2009
      Crossover office has worked well for me with simpler XP programs such as a notepad editor. WP was difficult to install, printing did not work, and had several other usability issues.

      You will also have difficulty with the XP reinstall disk on Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox.

      Jonathan

      Sent from my iPod

      On May 22, 2009, at 23:51, "dee.rrxing" <dee.rrxing@...> wrote:

      I'm working into a dead end with this problem, as far as I can see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      My boss at work stores all of his invoices in a WordPerfect 10 document (.wpd) format, on a Dell Laptop using Windows XP. These invoices contain images, tables, and text.

      He recently purchased a new MacBook, using OS X 10.5.7, and asked me if I could move all of his invoices over.

      How might I go about doing this, with no loss of format?

      So far, I have tried Open Office, NeoOffice, and Nisus Writer Pro in terms of OS X word processors. Each of these can open the documents, but they do not display the images in the file nor do they preserve the special table formatting, where a "Total" column is automatically calculated by an "Amount" and "Price" columns (The Total column will not update when the latter two are changed.).

      I tried WordPerfect 3.5e, but that's a little outdated, which I didn't realize.

      I also tried using Wine (CrossOver), but upon trying to install WordPerfect 10 (Which is not a supported product), the install reports that I do not have administrative privileges and closes. I also tried installing a free trial of the latest WordPerfect office, but the installation hangs.

      Unfortunately, Boot Camp is not an option, because the only Windows XP disk that my boss has is the one supplied with his Dell laptop. I've read that those reinstallation disks will not work for Boot Camp. Additionally, my boss is not well-versed with computers, and I do not want him to need to deal with restarting to switch between OSs so often.

      What other options might I have?

      Thank you very much for your help.