5705NeoOffice Settings (Was: Explaining the Macintosh surge?)

  • Randy B. Singer
    Mar 23, 2009
      On Mar 22, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Geoffrey Mendelson wrote:

      > This is my major complaint with Open(Neo) Office. There is no simple
      > way to turn off all automatic formatting,
      > on the fly misspelling (by the program), on the fly spell check, etc.

      Actually it is quite easy. NeoOffice suffers from the exact same
      problem that MS Word used to suffer from: the controls for automatic
      formatting aren't under Preferences, so it isn't obvious where to
      find them.

      To turn off Automatic Formatting:

      In NeoOffice Writer, go to the Tools menu.
      Choose AutoCorrect... and then go through the tabs in the resulting
      dialog window and uncheck anything that you want to turn off.
      You're done. This shouldn't take more than a minute.

      To turn off on the fly spell check (this is insanely easy):

      In NeoOffice Writer make sure that the Standard toolbar is activated.
      (It probably already is.) View menu --> Toolbars --> Standard
      In the Standard toolbar you will see two icons, side by side, of the
      letters A and B on a tiny blackboard.
      Clicking on the icon with the A and B underlined toggles on the fly
      spell check on and off.
      (To make this even easier, type in a word that is misspelled. It
      will be underlined in red if automatic spell check is turned on. The
      red underline will disappear if you toggle automatic spell check off,
      and vice versa.)

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html