5622[wpmac] Re: Help! with conversions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Feb 5, 2009
      > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
      > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
      > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
      > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
      > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
      > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
      > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
      > > to answer the question here:
      > >
      > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
      > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
      > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
      > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
      > involved.
      > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
      > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
      > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
      > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
      > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
      > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
      > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
      > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
      > meantime, don't forget us.

      I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
      original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
      involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
      to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
      or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
      "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic