5596Re: [wpmac] Re: How to upgrade the System

  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
    Jan 15, 2009
      On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:14:47AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
      >Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
      >would work with Tiger?

      You can upgrade to MacOS 8 pretty easily, again, you need a RETAIL CD.
      If you do, apply the 8.1 upgrade, which you can download from Apple.

      The same with 8.5. I've never seen an 8.6 true install CD, the only ones
      I have seen boot an 8.6 System folder that will only run from a CD. When you
      install 8.6 from them, they do a standard 8.5 install and then run the 8.6
      upgrade. The result is the same, the process strange. :-)

      >Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
      >up the drive).
      >
      >Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?

      I've done it by creating a disk image, copying all of the files over from
      the WordPerfect 7.5 image and then installing OS9. The problem I have
      is that diskcheck runs and tells me that the disk needs to be repaired with
      the OSX disk utility, but then the Leopard (10.5.6) one won't check the
      disk, it claims it can't find a file system.

      In other cases, I've run SS under Windows with a 9.0.4 system installed
      on an empty image from the CD. Before I had the 9.0.4 CD, I used a 9.0.1
      and installed the updates from Apple.

      As for what to upgrade to, 8.0/8.1 is mixed code, some of it is 680x0 code
      running on a built in 68020 emulator. 8.5 is pure PPC code, so it will run
      faster, but it is awfully buggy, so it needs the 8.6 update.

      OS9 adds some features, and there are a few changes with 9.1.5. Most of them
      had to do with hardware support, which is why they won't run under SS.
      OS 9.2.x had to do with running in classic mode and also had some hardware
      upgrades. I personally don't know of any APPLICATION software that requires
      OS9 beyond 9.0.4, but that does not mean there isn't any.

      Geoff.

      --
      Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic