5565Re: New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixe

  • Edward Mendelson
    Jan 11, 2009

      > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
      > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

      Delighted to hear that this is one the way. Of course you're welcome
      to use those Applescripts I cobbled together. The latest version (same
      link -but from the DMG file, not the ZIP now) is much improved.
      You'll be able to clean up the code in a hundred ways.

      I also put the ROM and keyboard file in the Resources of Basilisk II
      for a cleaner installation; this should of course be possible with
      SheepShaver also.

      The current version of the system includes a few extensions and
      control panels that might come in handy. I uploaded a new version
      earlier today.

      My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
      than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
      features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
      machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
      in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
      what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
      maybe I'm missing something obvious.

      We'll all be very grateful for version 2.0!
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic