5453Re: [wpmac] A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs

  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
    Nov 2, 2008
      On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 07:06:23PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      >Inspired by John Rethorst's ambitious and powerful
      >SheepShaver/WordPerfect setup, I've put together a
      >much smaller and more limited way to run WPMac on
      >today's Macs.

      Thanks, this will definitely come in handy.

      >It works a bit like John's method in
      >that it uses an old "emulator" program called
      >Basilisk II to create a "virtual" early-1990s-era
      >Mac on your OS X desktop, in the same way that
      >John's method uses the SheepShaver emulator to
      >create a "virtual" high-powered Classic Mac.

      Inspired by this, I tried to use it with an existing BII virtual
      Mac running under Windows XP.

      Here's what I did to get it to work:

      1. I unzipped the file using the command line unzip program.
      2. I moved the WPAppliance.dmg file to my BII file directory.
      3. I renamed it wp.hfv as the Windows version cares about the file type.

      Unfortunately it did not work, my virtual Mac wanted to initialize the disk.

      4. I burned the disk image to a CD ROM using Nero. I told it the file
      was an HFS image.

      5. I rebooted my virtual Mac (started BII) with the CD in the drive.

      6. The Mac started up and recognized the disk as a regular disk volume.

      7. I initialized the disk image (why waste the space?).

      8. I copied the files from the CD to the new disk image.

      I did it this way so that if I wanted to I could boot the disk I created
      instead of my existing Mac disk.

      Possibly useful information:

      BII for Windows NT v0.8 (build 142)
      Windows XP SP/3
      System 7.5.5
      ROM from a Centris 610
      Virtual 68040 processor
      32m RAM

      Note that if the CD was not already in the drive at boot time, or inserted
      immediately afterward, the virtual Mac did not recognize it. It thought it
      was an audio CD.

      Geoff.

      --
      Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM