5426Re: Help Sought: Old WordPerfect 1.0 files

  • Edward Mendelson
    Oct 23, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:
      > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
      > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
      > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
      > the documents themselves?

      The following answers are based on testing, not speculation.

      1. Download the Mac-native version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 from
      OpenOffice.org. This will open your password-protected WP 1.0
      files - without asking you to enter the password! Most formatting
      will be lost, but the text will be recovered correctly. (I have NOT
      tested other software that uses the same conversion software used
      in OpenOffice.org, but that software includes NeoOffice and
      AbiWord; OpenOffice.org has the newest version of the conversion
      software, so it is probably best to use it instead of the alternatives.)

      2. WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5e will also open WP 1.0 files without
      asking for the password. This can be run on an Intel Mac only by
      installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
      group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
      beginners should not even attempt it. If you need to have the
      original formatting preserved, however, this is the only software
      that will let you keep the formatting in your WP 1.0 files.

      As reported elsewhere in this message thread, MacLink Plus will
      NOT open WP 1.0 files.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic