5379Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

    Sep 18, 2008
      Hi Gero!

      Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
      couple of weeks.

      The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
      Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
      the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

      I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
      of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
      equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
      new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
      longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

      I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
      I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
      available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
      word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

      John R.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

      > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
      > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
      > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
      > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.
      >
      > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
      > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
      > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
      > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
      > required, execute the command
      >
      > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
      >
      > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
      "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

      > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application
      > configured to open WordPerfect files?
      >
      > Gero Herrmann

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic