5153Re: "hobbyists" (was: From Windows/wordperfect to Macbook Pro)

    Jun 26, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "George B. Richardson" <gbr@...> wrote:

      > By the way, Joe, I don't know that folks who simply prefer WP to
      > other word processing programs would appreciate being characterized
      > as "hobbyists".

      Agreed. If you keep the old turntable and tube amp running for their
      antique value, you're clearly a hobbyist. If you do so because you
      subscribe to the sizable body of serious opinion holding that analog
      sound is better than its replacement, you are not a hobbyist; you
      simply like listening to high quality sound reproduction.

      If you keep the old Leica in repair for historical reasons, you're a
      hobbyist. If you do so since you judge its image quality better
      than that 10 megapixel computer with a lens in front of it, you are
      not a hobbyist; you simply like high quality photographs.

      Newer ain't always better. I switched from MS Word to WP because
      it was the best writing tool I could find. I still think so.