4891Re: password protected documents

  • pjandlar
    Mar 2, 2008
      Tom,

      It's interesting that when you used NeoOffice to open
      the password-protected WP doc, you got hash, but
      when I did I got a blank file. I wonder why? My protected
      WP file had no content other than "This is a test"
      repeated a few times. Was yours longer? Mine initially
      had .wpd as its extension. I changed it to .txt, and
      NeoOffice asked me about ASCII characters and then
      displayed a few lines of ##### preceded by WPC and
      followed by PRT and some other characters - perhaps
      the #### was a stand-in for protected text? I tried
      .doc and no extension, and NeoOffice inconsistently
      either displayed the same #### or crashed.

      Either way, the password protection seemed to have worked.

      Pam

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
      wrote:

      > > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
      > > with a blank document. The document window had the
      > > document's title, but no content.
      >
      > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
      > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
      > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
      > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
      > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
      > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
      > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
      > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
      > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic