4217Re: [wpmac] Copying stuff to Home Folder [from SheepShaver]
- Sep 29, 2007After my initial optimistic response, I tried to open SheepShaver,
and it couldn't start up [blinking question mark].
Here's what I had done:
1. Before starting up SheepShaver, I opened the SheepShaver folder in
my Home Folder and double clicked on the SheepShaver HD. It didn't
open and indicated no application was associated with it.
2. I added the suffix <.dmg> to the SheepShaver HD and it then
mounted just fine.
3. I copied the folder that I was after: data only, no applications
4. I ejected the SheepShaver disk image
5. I opened SheepShaver, the application, and it couldn't find the
OS. Just had the grey screen and blinking question mark at start up.
I had to Force Quit SheepShaver.
6. I copied the SheepShaver Folder, with the modified disk image in
it, to an external HD and copied the unmodified SheepShaver HD from a
back up into the SheepShaver Folder in my Home Folder.
7. I deleted the modified disk image from my Home Folder, SheepShaver
opened just fine.
a. I shut down SheepShaver and remounted the external HD
b. deleted the <.dmg> suffix from the modified disk image on the external HD
c. copied the modified disk image back to my SheepShaver folder in my
c. copied the unmodified SheepShaver HD to an external drive
d. deleted the unmodified SheepShaver HD from my SheepShaver folder
in my Home folder
e. ejected the external drive, and
f. Started up SheepShaver from the modified SheepShaver disk image:
Result: SheepShaver could not find the system
Therefore: I can't copy stuff to or from the SheepShaver HD in its
I found a work around to get stuff copied off of the SheepShaver HD
[but not deleted from or copied to the SheepShaver HD]: On my OS X
desktop, I duplicate the SheepShaver HD, add the <.dmg> suffix and
open up the disk image. While this is okay, I still feel that there
must be a better solution or I'm doing something wrong.
Further info: on the SheepShaver desktop, I have both the SheepShaver
HD and the UNIX HD. I cannot copy the data that I want to copy from
the SheepShaver desktop into the UNIX HD w/o getting an error
message. When I try to copy the same type of data from the UNIX HD, I
get an error message that it is in use, which, as far as I know, is
Any help in figuring out how to copy to and from the SheepShaver HD
would be appreciated.
Sorry to be more a taker than a receiver on this list. I am pretty
much out of my element with SheepShaver and running classic on an
Thanks for all the help so far.
- Next post in topic >>