4064Re: [wpmac] Re: SheepShaver Boot Disks

  • J Bell
    Aug 5, 2007
      Dear David,

      I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
      SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
      steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
      successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
      successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
      provided by Apple.

      The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
      restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
      operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
      then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
      appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
      able to start loading applications and using the OS.

      Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
      initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
      don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
      error of my ways.

      The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
      independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.

      Thank you for any help you can offer.

      On 8/1/07, David Southall <dragoroo@...> wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, somniferous1 <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > Hello David,
      > >
      > > I am new to this group and urgently in need of getting sheepshaver
      > > to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the PC and although
      > > I can get the installer to open I am unable to install the operating
      > > system (os 8.6) because it is a bundled system that came with my
      > > G3 powerbook. I have seen instructions that tell me I can use
      > > RegEdit and make changes to the disk but this seems above and
      > > beyone the call of duty.
      > >
      > > What does this mena HFS+? Can I do it with the disk I currently
      > > have? I hate the idea of carrying two computers. (G3 and Intel)
      >
      > HFS (Hierarchical Filing System) is the disk format used up to System
      > 9. HFS+ is an improved version which supports much bigger disk sizes.
      > It started at around system 9 and is the current default disk format.
      >
      > The oldest OSs do not understand HFS+ or if they do the emulators (SS
      > and Basilisk) do not provide complete support.
      > > > The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
      > > > image file of any size.
      > > >
      > When you create a blank virtual disk with SheepShaverGUI.app it
      > creates a blank HFS volume.
      >
      > When you create a blank virtual disk (.dmg) with OSX's Disk Utility it
      > usually creates a HFS+ .dmg file. It is these files that seem to have
      > problems when using the installer. Some work, some don't.
      >
      > In the Links section look for a big dowload called
      > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install - SS-WP.zip. It contains a complete
      > OS9 install. The installer scripts that are unzipped are for MacOSX
      > but in the Install Items>SheepShaver folder you will find the
      > components that you need for your installation. The .dmg file is HFS+
      > but this one works successfully. If you use the files provided you
      > can also be assured that you have a compatible ROM.
      >
      > Use the instructions at
      > http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/
      > SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf
      > to install on a PC
      >
      > You do not appear to have sufficient background knowledge to use
      > ResEdit to modify your OS8.5 Installer disk so I would not recommend
      > that you try that exercise yourself. If you must us OS8.5 then seek
      > more information before making the attempt.
      >
      > Regards David

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic