3305Re: [wpmac] [ANN] Citations 2.4

  • Rick Albright
    Aug 3 2:20 PM
      My thanks (once again) to John Rethorst for his unsurpassed
      knowledge, skill, and willingness to share his expertise with the WP
      community. I've used previous versions of this tool and it is
      everything he says it is. (And an exceptional value, given that
      EndNote and ProCite typically run $200-$400 and may only work with MS-
      Word.)

      Q for John: What version is the FileMaker Pro template? I still have
      3.0--many versions ago--but I've never needed anything more current
      than that. Though I could probably still use my old databases and
      just update the scripts and macros.

      Thanks again, John!
      Rick Albright

      On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:20 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > This set of Applescripts and macros transfers text and bibliographic
      > references from a database to a WordPerfect document, placing
      > citation data in bibliography, endnote or footnote format or a
      > combination of formats. Supports any reference style, including
      > Chicago, MLA, APA and any number of custom styles.
      >
      > Functions as easily and well as a commercial reference manager such
      > as EndNote or ProCite. Works with any database program; comes with
      > a completely configured FileMaker database. Operates as a
      > transparent extension of both the database and WordPerfect.
      >
      > WordPerfect is widely considered still to be the best word processor
      > available for serious academic and legal writing. This citation
      > manager, the equal of any commercial program, is offered free in
      > continuing support of the best serious writing environment that the
      > personal computer has to offer.
      >
      > John R.
      >
      > There's a lot new in 2.4:
      >
      > Compatible with all Mac OS versions 7.5 and later. Applescripts
      > run natively in OSX.
      >
      > Supports any number of authors in a record.
      >
      > A new macro, "Bibliography Duplicates", finds multiple bibliography
      > entries of any reference in one document, as might occur if you
      > combine multiple chapters into a single file.
      >
      > Any text you select, in the datafile's Text field or any other
      > field, is
      > transferred as styled text, preserving attribute formatting (e.g.
      > fonts, italic).
      >
      > Cross-referencing now automatically follows the current citation
      > type in the database. If your database is set to Footnotes, for
      > example, cross-references will be footnotes.
      >
      > Comments are now placed with the bibliography entry in any
      > reference type that includes a bibliography, and with the initial
      > endnote or footnote in any reference type that includes notes.
      >
      > Control of automatic text and comments placement from the
      > database into your paper is more flexible. Pressing the Command
      > key toggles inclusion of the Text field, overriding the Include
      > setting in the database (any text you select in the Text field
      > transfers
      > in any case). Pressing Option toggles inclusion of the Comments field,
      > overriding the Include setting in the database.
      >
      > The database includes a "Mark" field and supporting scripts, so you
      > can do a Find and then automatically enter any symbol in the Mark
      > field of all or any found records. Enter any number of symbols for
      > different found sets, and find boolean combinations. You can also
      > automatically clear data from that field in all records.
      >
      > The database ships with a master password, "edit". Opening the
      > database without entering any password allows Citations to work
      > and supports browsing, exporting and printing records; i.e. general
      > bibliographical use, including entry in and modification of the Memo
      > and Mark fields. The password is required for other editing, and so
> [...]

      "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
      warfare."
      --James Madison, 1793

      Rick Albright
      logres@...