3283WP icons in OSX (was; Weird happenings with WP)

    Aug 1 4:27 PM
      Pascal knows more than I do here, but I lately started having
      similar trouble, i.e. a "plaid" or corrupted icon with one file,
      a WP-created plain text file that an Applescript reads every
      day.

      I did a Save As as a normal WP doc, and the icon's fine. I then
      did a Save As plain text, since the Applescript needs it as such,
      and got an icon suggesting the double-clicked file will be
      opened by Script Debugger (third-party application that reads
      and writes text files among other formats), and that's just what
      happens.

      The file has file type of "TEXT" and creator of "WPC2", but also
      has something new to OSX, a Type Identifier. An Applescript
      Info For command on the file returns this metadata:

      type identifier:"com.apple.traditional-mac-plain-text"

      and I'm at present searching for a way via Applescript (or
      shell script) to get rid of this metadata. Using Applescript,
      neither the Finder nor System Events will do it. Anyone
      know? Otherwise, I'll get back to you.

      John R.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, pascalos@... wrote:

      > Hi Ruth !
      >
      > Le 2006-07-26 à 22:41, RBRoufberg@... a écrit :
      > > I followed all the instructions, rebuilding the classic desktop before
      > > logging out and back in. The weird "plaid" icons on the Word
      > > Perfect documents still
      > > persist. Now I'm wondering whether the classic desktop really was
      > > rebuilt.
      > > When I go to: Macintosh HD > Desktop Folder, that folder is completely
      > > empty. However, my "actual" classic desktop (imported from my old
      > > OS 9.1
      > > computer) is in a folder titled "ruthroufberg" with an icon of a
      > > little house.
      > >
      > > Should I replace the empty Desktop Folder with the real one that
      > > contains all
      > > the files, and repeat the rebuilding of the classic desktop?
      > Please trash the following files and restart your Mac :
      > /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore
      > /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore
      >
      > There may be other files named similarly, except for the number
      > inside the Caches folder : trash them all, they will be rebuild from
      > scratch after the restart.
      >
      > If it still doesn't work, I would check your drives' integrity using
      > Mac OS X' build in Disk Utility. Repair permissions while you are
      > there. Repairing permissions will not cure all the world diseases,
      > but it may cure some ailments.
      >
      > The folder you found (Macintosh HD > Desktop Folder) is present for
      > compatibility reasons with old Mac OS 9 apps. Do not bother with this
      > folder and keep it empty. You might loose stuff if you store files
      > there as they will not be backed up with the rest of your user folder
      > whenever you'll backup your user folder (because you do, don't you ?)
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Pascal

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic