3100[wpmac] Works programs (was Re: New user?)

  • Doug Auwarter
    Jul 11, 2006
      On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:

      Those folks interested in the history of software development may wish
      to visit http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php - a history of
      the development of ClarisWorks by one of its authors.

      An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
      most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
      working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
      Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
      (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

      Great story--thanks, Don!
      As one that also likes Appleworks 5 and uses it almost as much as WP
      (when the WP converters are acting up*) I've always wondered what
      happened when Appleworks 6 came out. It's a complete dog compared to
      5, especially the way the importation of graphics works (very
      badly!). Why did this happen? How can you take a program that works
      so well, and ruin its functionality in an upgrade? Anyone?
      Best,
      Doug

      *sometimes importing jpg files or copying and pasting long documents.