2758Re: [wpmac] CNN.com - Viruses catch up to the Mac - Apr 30, 2006

    May 1, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, villars@... wrote:

      > I must apologize then for sending this. It appeared on the cnn news
      > site.

      The story originated at the Associated Press, and appeared on a lot of
      news sites. See Google's list at:

      http://tinyurl.com/zvewb

      Farther down in many of these articles are reports from several
      sources to the effect that security in OSX needs to be taken seriously.
      I'm the only regular user of my Mac at home, but a month ago added
      a user account, and no longer use the administrative account except
      for special purposes. I keep the firewall on, and all internet sharing
      off except for network time.

      I've also been investigating an open source project called Snort,
      compiled for Mac OSX as HenWen (a link is in the Links section here),
      that's a "network intrusion detection system". I don't know much
      about it, though.

      It may be that "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." -Franklin
      Delano Roosevelt, but he never had computer viruses to contend with.