2542Re: [wpmac] New To MAC & Forum: Love WordPerfect. Loathe Word.

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Feb 13, 2006
      Virtual pc works rather well on a G5 dual. and, of course, that lets
      you keep the version of WP you are used to.

      Wordperfect Mac running under Classic is even more seamless, and
      while WP mac has a great interface and we all love it, it may differ
      too much from the Windows version for your tastes. As long as you
      successfully install classic under OSX 10.4 (Tiger) --I had some
      problems with that--- you should be able to use WP 3.5e for the
      foreseeable future. Still some of the work-arounds to integrate WP
      3.5e with OSX are not entirely seamless.

      I for one am learning to use Word better (since it cannot be avoided
      and is a powerful program) and will pick up on an OSX "Word
      compatible" word processor for my future work one of these days. I
      will be looking particularly at Mellel (sp?) and Nisus Writer Express
      though there's half a dozen out there.

      The next release of Nisus Writer Express will include support for
      building tables of contents and indexes. That's when I'll try it out.

      Until then there's no problem for me in continuing to create in WP 3.5e.

      Since you face a learning curve almost any direction you look, I'd
      advise you to do some window shopping. You'll want to choose a
      replacement for WP by the time you decide to upgrade your OSX system
      beyond Tiger. At that point, the Classic environment that runs
      WP3.5e will no longer be supported by Apple, and 3rd party unix hacks
      can't be counted on to work for something you use daily.

      It will be interesting to see what happens with Virtual PC at that point.

      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...