2283RTF conversion (was: [ANN] Word > WP 1.1)

    Nov 6, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
      > > project. But what is required to write an updated
      > > filter? What documentation is out there for creating
      > > a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
      > > reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
      > > for third party filters?
      > > Just wondering where one might start.

      We have the file format, and RTF's is published. Just a matter of finding
      people with the capability and time.

      > Easier than updating the "RTF Conversions" file in the "Conversions"
      > folder may be creating a standalone conversion tool for converting
      > between RTF and the WP 4.0 file format. This would have the
      > advantage to not require Classic. If written in Perl, the conversion tool
      > will also run on Mac OS 9 in MacPerl. A starting point could be the available
      > RTF::HTML::Converter Perl module, which builds on the RTF::Parser module.
      >
      > http://search.cpan.org/~sargie/RTF-Parser-1.09/
      >
      > My suggestion would be to create an analogous RTF::WordPerfect::Converter
      > module.

      This is a _terrific_ idea. Could we get a joint project going? Group
      membership is approaching 800; if half a dozen of us can do Perl...

      I don't know how many people have stopped using WPMac since
      conversion to and from Word isn't very good. This could make a big
      difference.