1571WP-L-Digest 2005/01/05 #952

    Jan 5, 2005
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:00:11 -0600
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: Re: Past
      digests

      I have messages dating from April 2000. The early ones I imported into
      Apple's Mail app from Eudora when I switched from System 8.1 to Mac OS
      X 10.1. The messages seem to be intact. It looks like all I have to do
      is drag the Mail mailbox folder to the desktop and I get a 31.4
      megabyte mbox file. If you only need the messages before July 2001 I
      could drag them into a new mailbox and create an mbox file with just
      those. I am guessing it would be under 10 megabytes. Would you like me
      to email it to you? or I could put it in my dot mac public folder till
      you can download it.

      On Dec 6, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Randall C. Wilson wrote:

      John, I have messages going back to July 2, 2001 an additional 6
      months but have not formally archived them. If I did it would be to a
      freely available Filemaker Pro Database solution.

      Are past digests available via FTP? Alternatively, has anyone
      archived them all (I have them from 2002 on, but none before).

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:03:31 -0800
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject:
      default font suggestion

      This tip is from Ed Mendelson's web page on WPMac:

      download the SmoothType control panel for Classic and install it;
      experiment with the font smoothing settings that produce the best
      results in WPMac. You may also download and install the Mac OS 9
      version of the Lucida Grande font

      and I find it very helpful. I'd been somewhat happy using WP on my new
      17" iMac, but the resolution being different etc., none of the
      standard
      fonts worked very well for text entry and editing. I was impressed
      with
      OSX's Lucida Grande, and am glad to see it's now available for Classic
      use, enhanced (considerably) by SmoothType.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:03:38 -0800
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      past digests

      Randall,

      On Dec 6, 2004, at 9:19 AM, WP-L wrote:

      John, I have messages going back to July 2, 2001 an additional 6
      months but have not formally archived them. If I did it would be to
      a freely available Filemaker Pro Database solution.

      I got a set, but thank you anyway.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:50:11 -0600
      From: Steve Kane <skane [email address protected]Subject: NeoOffice/J
      now has
      experimental support for Mac WP 3.5e files

      This just in:

      " From: patrick.luby [email address protected]Subject:
      NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patch available
      Date: December 16, 2004 11:21:51 AM CST
      To: neojupdate [email address protected]Reply-To:
      announcements [email address protected]Ed and I have fixed many of
      the bugs that
      were reported against
      NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2 "Patch-8" and so I have posted "Patch-9".

      This patch includes the following bug fixes:

      1. Random crashing - I fixed this bug by removing the Java "-Xrs"
      startup option that was added in an earlier patch.

      2. Better memory usage - I fixed a massive Java 1.3.1 memory leak.
      Java
      1.3.1 was leaking a massive amount of memory every time a new window
      was created which would eventually cause Neo/J to eventually consume
      all available memory.

      3. Smaller PDF files - I fixed a couple of bugs in my "save as PDF"
      code.

      4. Safer drag-and-drop behavior - I fixed the bug that was causing
      Neo/J to delete data when dragging the mouse over another application.

      In addition, Fridrich Strba has enhanced Neo/J's WordPerfect support
      by
      adding experimental support for WordPerfect for Mac 3.5e files.

      You can download "Patch-9" from the following URL:

      http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

      Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in
      Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/).

      Patrick

      Patrick Luby
      Planamesa Software
      http://www.planamesa.com
      _________________________________________________________________"

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:38:48 -0500
      From: Philip Utley <putley [email address protected]Subject:
      Conversion of Tables

      I have been able to convert the tables that I use in WordPerfect 3.5e
      so that they can be moved and printed out in recent versions of Word
      for Windows.

      I save the document as "WP for Windows 6,7,8" and open it on
      WordPerfect 8 for Windows, which I run in SoftWindows. I then save
      the document as "Word 6.0 for Windows".

      There seems to be no loss of data have except for some changes in
      table borders. These can be corrected with a macro in WP for Windows.

      I then move the document to a DOS-formatted floppy disc which a
      colleague can open in Word for Windows.

      A few years ago, I tried to buy WordPerfect 8 from Corel and was told
      that I could not do so. I told them that my old disk had become
      corrupted and they sent me a new one for $20 when I gave them my
      registration number.

      I think that since WordPerfect 8 is being kept off the market like
      the Mac WordPerfect, it should also be a free download. So should
      5-7, 5 being especially good for conversions to Mac WP.

      Many of my current Mac WP tables (treatment plans that I update by
      using macros that change dates) originated in WP 5.1 for DOS. After I
      converted them I used keystroke macros to reformat the borders cell
      by cell.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:33:27 -0500
      From: Philip Utley <putley [email address protected]Subject: [No
      Subject]

      ilisten, by MacSpeech, an English company, is becoming a fairly
      sophisticated speech recognition program that can be recommended. It
      sells for $150 including a microphone. It is upgraded constantly; the
      current OS X version is 1.6.6., which I run in OS 10.3.7.

      I have been using it to dictate relatively long documents, which I
      then revise in WordPerfect. Currently I dictate into AppleWorks and
      copy the text into WordPerfect, which is still the best program for
      editing (as opposed to the typographical and speech recognition
      correction which I do in iListen).

      The process of learning to use any speech recognition program takes
      time; neither I nor iListen learn that quickly. But the more one uses
      it the better it gets, according to users more experienced than I. It
      is a good way to get a first draft written quickly.

      At first MacSpeech claimed that one could dictate directly into
      WordPerfect after a restart in OS 9; they even provided voice macros.
      This never worked very well, though. There were always crashes and
      problems with correction and they got worse as Mac OS developed.

      Now I'm told by technical support that one can dictate into
      WordPerfect on ilisten 1.5.6 but only if it is running in OS 9.2.2 on
      a partition or on a separate disk. I hope to get to that soon.

      The technical support is good--by email directly to the company, on a
      users' list monitored by tech support, or, more expensively, by phone.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:10:38 -0800
      From: Harald Sundt <h_sundt [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Are we still here?

      Just testing. Merry Solstice
      --
      WAR IS PEACE - FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:15:52 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Are we still here?

      On 12/17/04 11:10 AM, "Harald Sundt" <h_sundt [email address
      protected]org> wrote:

      Just testing. Merry Solstice
      --
      WAR IS PEACE - FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

      We are.

      Have a wonderful Festivus - for the rest of us.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:44:07 -0800
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: WP
      Macros to Word

      Folks have asked me before how to convert all of their WordPerfect
      macros
      to Microsoft Word. I've always told them that they were SOL.
      Apparently
      I was wrong. See:

      <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url
      =/library/en-us/dnword97/
      html/wdwpconv.asp>

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:17:27 -0800
      From: Pat Sitton <ps [email address protected]Subject: Problem with
      MacLinkPlus

      Please excuse the list that begins this plea for help; I hope that it
      helps to narrow down the problem.

      I've been using WordPerfect 3.5e frequently and with no complications
      for
      several years on a Mac running OS 8.6.
      This machine also has Mac Link Plus 13 installed.
      This Mac identifies saved WP files as v.4.x; MacLink Plus on this
      machine
      identifies them as WP3.5e with WPD4 as the file Creator.

      I've also been using WP 3.5 occasionally on a Mac running OS 9.1 and
      one
      running WP in Classic.
      Neither of these machines has Mac Link Plus installed.
      Neither of these has any trouble running WP or saving/opening files.

      I've just installed WP3.5e on a Mac running OS 9.1 with MacLink Plus
      13
      running on it.
      On this infernal machine, unlike any of the others, any time I open a
      WP
      file by double clicking or by using the Open command from with WP, Mac
      Link Plus pops up and tells me that it "can translate 'File Name' into
      the WordPfct Mac 3.,3.1,3.5 document format" and then, if I click OK,
      it
      translates the file in to WP 2.x.

      If I open any WP 3.5e (or 4) file on this machine using the Open
      Latest
      menu, the file opens promptly and without the intervention of any
      pesky
      translators.

      I'm hoping that I can somehow get this to happen any time that I open
      WP
      3.e(4) files and not have to deal with MacLinkPlus for this.

      I'm hoping that this is a well-known situation with a simple solution
      and
      would appreciate any help.
      thanks,
      Pat

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:17:47 -0500
      From: Rick Albright <logres [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Problem with
      MacLinkPlus

      It doesn't seem like anyone's answered, Pat, so I'll take a stab at
      it.
      Even though we use WordPerfect 3.5e, I think the MacOS calls it
      version
      4. Probably because of the creator/type code of wpd4. MacLinkPlus
      knows
      that it's 3.5, though.

      I have MacLink Plus on my machine (which is currently running Classic
      under OSX 10.3). When I double-click on a WP 3.5e document, it
      launches
      WordPerfect, not MacLinkPlus. It did the same thing when I ran 9.2, on
      different machines.

      I'm not clear from your description whether the machine that's giving
      you trouble just has OS9 on it, or OSX. It sounds like OS9. Either
      way,
      I suspect that the OS is identifying MacLinkPlus as the default
      application for that type of file, which means that's what it's
      launching when you double click on the file. (You seem to have no
      problem opening it from within WordPerfect via "Open Latest" once that
      app is already running). MacLinkPlus has default conversions (which
      you
      can change). This must have been previously set to translate word
      processing documents to WP 2.x.

      I'm thinking the solution may be as simple as rebuilding your desktop.
      One function of the desktop file is to keep track of what icons belong
      to what applications. Rebuilding is usually a good idea on a periodic
      basis, and is especially recommended after installing new software. If
      you don't have OSX on this machine, rebuild by rebooting and holding
      down the option and command keys until you're asked to confirm that
      you
      want to rebuild the desktop on the startup volume.

      If you're running OSX, you can go into System Preferences, Classic,
      and
      then tell it to rebuild the Classic desktop. IF you have OSX and the
      rebuild doesn't do it, you should run Disk Utility and select "repair
      privileges."

      If none of the above things work, you could try removing the
      MacLinkPlus "preferences" file (under System: preferences) and
      rebooting--though if you do this, you'll have to reenter the serial or
      license number, so you should have it handy. And instead of trashing
      this preferences file, you could just move it to the desktop, so that
      you can restore it if you have to. But it would be worth a try. I
      suspect, though, that it's not a MacLinkPlus problem but a MacOS
      issue.

      WordPerfect's preferences and library files can become corrupted, too,
      though I don't think this would cause the program to open files with a
      different app. But removing these could be something to try if nothing
      else works. If you take this step, be sure to save any macros,
      keyboards, or similar customizations which are stored in your library
      file. (Some users recommend saving a copy of the library file that the
      program builds when you do a clean install, so that you can copy it
      back later if you need to).

      I hope this helps.
      Rick Albright
      logres [email address protected]On Dec 18, 2004, at 6:17 PM, Pat
      Sitton wrote:

[...]

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:33:33 +0000
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: NeoOffice J 1.1b

      This programme now has much more of a Mac OS X feel, at least on the
      surface - some of the dialogs are distinctly X-Windows like. However,
      while it is big (117Mb download) and it is clever (it opens WP3.5
      files), it's not very clever - it strips footnotes from any WP3.5e
      file that it opens. If you want an OSX word processor that is not MS
      and you can put up with waiting for the Java environment to load
      invisibly, it's very sophisticated. It would, however, be a new
      venture, not a migration from WP3.5e.

      Geoff

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13

      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:51:27 -0800
      From: Leo Rivers <l_rivers [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning

      Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning .

      I have 20 years (it seems about right) of Mac WordPerfect files.

      MacLink does somewhat translate them. I would LOVE to preserve
      footnotes and tables, though. Can I hope for a direct import path
      into ANY major Word Processing platform ever?

      Break my heart, I've been expecting it.

      PS:
      I bought Adobe Adobe InDesign CS because THEY TOLD ME IT HAD A
      WORDPERFECT import filter.

      I paid my $400 and found out it did NOT! After MUCH faq pursuit I
      discovered they misled me. Version 1.0 of the Windows Adobe InDesign
      CS had such a filter. All other versions and platforms did not.

      I feel I have a legitimate gripe.
      --

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:02:13 -0500
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning

      On 12/23/04 6:51 PM, "Leo Rivers" <l_rivers [email address
      protected]org> wrote:

      Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning .

      I have 20 years (it seems about right) of Mac WordPerfect files.

      MacLink does somewhat translate them. I would LOVE to preserve
      footnotes and tables, though. Can I hope for a direct import path
      into ANY major Word Processing platform ever?

      Break my heart, I've been expecting it.

      I just created a test document in WP Mac, put in a simple table and
      added a
      footnote -- and saved it as RTF.

      I double-clicked on it & Word opened it -- perfectly.