116WP Mac News 95/01

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Dec 7, 2004
      Our Premiere Issue! Editor’s Corner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . 1 WordPerfect Product News . . . . . . 2 Tips and Tricks . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 Macros of the Month . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . 4 Feature Highlight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Frequently
      Asked Questions . . . . . 7 Your Turn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . 8 Click on a button to go to that section. Welcome to
      the first edition of the WordPerfect Mac News! Until now, we could only
      drool over our coworkers’ copies of WordPerfect Magazine for DOS or
      Windows, but now we have a Mac magazine all our own. We’re the Mac
      Support team at WordPerfect (that’s us on the right), and we’ve put
      this together to help you get the most out of WordPerfect for
      Macintosh. We’ll show you tips and tricks, we’ll have special guest
      columnists, we’ll walk you through useful features, and we’ll dish you
      the latest WordPerfect news. And if you don’t own a copy of WordPerfect
      for Mac yet, this will give you a glimpse of what you could be doing if
      you had it. It’s worth mentioning that the WordPerfect Mac News was
      created using only WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh (except for the
      headings and some of the artwork, which were created with ColorIt!™ by
      MicroFrontier, Inc.). This news magazine proves that you do not
      necessarily need a desktop publishing application to do page layout
      when you have WordPerfect for Mac. You also don’t need a jillion meg of
      RAM to run it, but that’s another story. We crave your feedback! Send
      comments, questions, tips & tricks, and other contributions to macmail
      @ wordperfect.com or any of the addresses listed on the back page, and
      you may see your name in print! Daniel WordPerfect Mac News January
      1995 Mac WP 3.1 Wins Eddy! Novell Inc.’s WordPerfect 3.1 was named by
      MacUser magazine editors as the “Best New Word Processing Tool” for the
      Macintosh and Power Macintosh at the Tenth Annual Editors’ Choice
      Awards banquet held Tuesday, Jan. 3, in San Francisco. WordPerfect beat
      out all other Macintosh word processors in a year that brought upgrades
      from nearly every major word processing vendor. The “Eddy” Award
      recognizes the best Macin- tosh hardware and software products released
      throughout the year. Winners and finalists are selected based on their
      technological innovation, quality, performance, user friendliness, and
      value to Macintosh users. “The Eddy is an extremely prestigious award,”
      said Roger Bell, product marketing director for WordPerfect for
      Macintosh. “Being recognized as the best new word processing tool by
      the editors of MacUser magazine is a significant achievement for the
      WordPerfect product.” We’d Like to Thank the Academy… Earlier this
      year, the WordPerfect Macintosh Support crew was honored when Macworld
      magazine readers selected us for the “Best Customer Service” award. A
      big thank you to all those who voted, and to Macworld. Sales Pitch
      WordPerfect for Macintosh 3.1 is now available. You can still upgrade
      from any older version of WordPerfect for a mere $59. But hurry, it
      goes up to $69 at the end of January 1995. If you have System 6.0.7 or
      later, a Macintosh Plus or better (with a hard drive, of course) and 2
      MB of available (not total) RAM to run it on, you’re all set to run
      version 3.1. You get QuickCorrect, System 7.5 capability, tables,
      button bars, Grammatik, Power Mac acceleration, the whole ball of wax.
      And perhaps most tempting of all, upgrading to Version 3.1 gives you
      180 days of toll-free Technical Support, so you can keep talking to
      charming people like ourselves. You can order your upgrade to
      WordPerfect 3.1 for Macintosh by calling us at the Support Line, (800)
      2282875, or talk to the good people at our Sales line, (800) 321-4566.
      page 2 WordPerfect Mac News January 1995WordPerfect Mac News January
      1995 Lines for Labels The Labels macro that ships with WordPerfect 3.1
      creates a table with the appropriate cell measurements for your labels,
      and then deletes all the borders of that table. Sometimes, however, you
      may want to have some borders on the screen to see where you are. This
      tip will give you label lines that will show on the screen, but not on
      the printout. First, go up to Tools, down to Macro, and over to Edit.
      From t Hard Return Create Table (Var01;Var02) Table Border Start Apply
      To (Entire Table) Vertical Line Type (None) Horizontal Line Type (None)
      Right Line Type (None) Bottom Line Type (None) Left Line Type (None)
      Top Line Type (None) Table Border End Change the word "None" to "No
      Print" on each of these lines. he list that pops up, choose Labels, and
      click on Edit Content. Now, find the part Lines for Labels The Labels
      macro that ships with WordPerfect 3.1 creates a table with the
      appropriate cell measurements for your labels, and then deletes all the
      borders of that table. Sometimes, however, you may want to have some
      borders on the screen to see where you are. This tip will give you
      label lines that will show on the screen, but not on the printout.
      First, go up to Tools, down to Macro, and over to Edit. From t Hard
      Return Create Table (Var01;Var02) Table Border Start Apply To (Entire
      Table) Vertical Line Type (None) Horizontal Line Type (None) Right Line
      Type (None) Bottom Line Type (None) Left Line Type (None) Top Line Type
      (None) Table Border End Change the word "None" to "No Print" on each of
      these lines. of the macro that resembles the example above, and change
      “None” to “No Print.” Then click on the Save button, and close the box.
      You will now have nonprinting lines on labels. IMPORTANT: This tip only
      works in Version 3.1. he list that pops up, choose Labels, and click on
      Edit Content. Now, find the part of the macro that resembles the
      example above, and change “None” to “No Print.” Then click on the Save
      button, and close the box. You will now have nonprinting lines on
      labels. IMPORTANT: This tip only works in Version 3.1. Editing your
      Button Bar Instead of going to the pop-up menu and down to Edit every
      time you want to edit your Button Bar, just double-click on any
      NON–BUTTON part of your Button Bar (say, on the gray space between two
      buttons). That brings up the Edit Button Bar dialog box. Tabs How do
      you change a left tab to a right tab? Just doubleclick on the tab
      itself on the ruler. The Tabs dialog box comes up, and you can change
      “Type” from “Left” to “Right.” Or anything else. PowerBook Tip Most
      PowerBook owners already know that you can turn on the Battery item on
      the Status Bar to check battery life. But in addition, by
      double-clicking on the battery icon, you can make your PowerBook go to
      sleep. More Status Bar Fun By double-clicking on the Page/Line item on
      the Status Bar , you can bring up the Go To Page Number dialog box.
      Editing your Button Bar Instead of going to the pop-up menu and down to
      Edit every time you want to edit your Button Bar, just double-click on
      any NON–BUTTON part of your Button Bar (say, on the gray space between
      two buttons). That brings up the Edit Button Bar dialog box. Tabs How
      do you change a left tab to a right tab? Just doubleclick on the tab
      itself on the ruler. The Tabs dialog box comes up, and you can change
      “Type” from “Left” to “Right.” Or anything else. PowerBook Tip Most
      PowerBook owners already know that you can turn on the Battery item on
      the Status Bar to check battery life. But in addition, by
      double-clicking on the battery icon, you can make your PowerBook go to
      sleep. More Status Bar Fun By double-clicking on the Page/Line item on
      the Status Bar , you can bring up the Go To Page Number dialog box.
      Reverse Text Reverse Text Creating white-on-black text like the heading
      above is a two-step process. First, highlight the text you’d like to
      reverse, and change the color to white. You can do this by clicking the
      Color button on your Font bar, or by choosing Other from the Style
      menu. Then, with the text still highlighted, go to Layout/
      Borders/Character, put an “X” in the Fill On box, and click OK. page 3
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1995 The macros described in this section
      are contained in a WordPerfect 3.x file called “January Macros Read
      Me.” It was included when you downloaded the WordPerfect Mac News. The
      file also contains instructions for moving these macros to your
      Library. Highlighter by Gene Bowley If you select some text you want
      highlighted and then run this macro, it will automatically highlight
      the text with a default color of light red. You can change this to
      yellow or blue. If no text is selected when the macro is run, a menu
      will come up with these options: Highlight a Selection: By choosing
      this option, you are allowed to select the text you want to highlight
      if none has been selected. If text is selected before running the
      macro, this menu will not even be displayed. Remove Once: By selecting
      this option, the first instance to the left of the insertion will be
      removed. Place the insertion point in the highlighted text that you
      want removed. If you have layered different colors of highlight, the
      color underneath the one removed will become active. Remove All: This
      removes all highlighting from the document. Use Red, Blue or Yellow: By
      selecting this option, the default highlight color can be changed for
      that document. Quit: This option stops the macro. Manipulate Styles by
      Dave Moulton This macro gives WordPerfect 3.x the ability to work more
      easily with large numbers of styles. It allows the user to find a
      specific style in a document, replace one style with another style
      throughout a document, and to remove a particular style in a document.
      When the macro is run, the first item to appear is the main menu. The
      user then chooses what is wanted. A. Remove a style B. Replace one
      style with another style C. Find a style D. Quit Main Menu Choice A
      removes occurrences of a style in the current document. The macro will
      first ask if you want to remove all occurrences or specific
      occurrences. Choice B replaces occurrences of a chosen style with
      another style that you choose. Choice C is used to find occurrences of
      a style. See “January Macros Read Me” for complete information. page 4
      WordPerfect Mac News January 1995 Replicate by Daniel Midgley This
      month we’ll focus on the Replicate feature. You can find it in the
      Graphic layer, under “Arrange.” Replicate is designed to repeat graphic
      objects to give your artwork or text certain special effects. The first
      thing we’ll do is learn how to create sunbursts in WordPerfect. Should
      you ever want to shout SALE!, this will help you. Go into the Graphics
      Layer (Tools:Graphic:New) Click on the Polygon button on the Toolbox.
      Draw a triangle, as described in Figure 1. This triangle will be the
      top point of your sunburst, so make it as wide as you want the points
      to be. 1. Click somewhere once to start. 2. Click here once. 3.
      Double-click here to finish. Figure 1. Now click once on your triangle
      to select it. When you see the four dots around it, you’ll know it’s
      selected. Turn Pen Off using the Pen tool . Also, choose a color for
      your triangle using Click and hold on this white square, then choose a
      color for your triangle. Figure 2 the button shown in Figure 2. With
      the triangle still selected, choose Replicate from the Arrange menu.
      This brings up the “Replicate” box. In the box marked “Replications,”
      type the number of points you want the sunburst to have. Change “Angle”
      to 360°. Move the “Anchor” point to bottom center. Then click OK. Your
      sunburst is finished. Now that you have the idea, you can try some
      variations. • Select all those triangles, group them, and then stretch
      or squish the sunburst. • Use the text tool to write “Sale!” over the
      top of the sunburst. No fill or color for the text object. • Experiment
      with “Pen On.” If you decide to use the pen, you’ll have a bunch of
      lines transecting the circle. You can blank them out by drawing a
      pen-less circle over the center of the sunburst. Choose the same fill
      color as you used for the triangle. page 5 WordPerfect Mac News January
      1995 continued… Now let’s try some replication of text. I used the
      Replicate feature to create this WordPerfect letterhead. Here’s how to
      do it: Go into the Graphics Layer (Tools:Graphic:New). Click on the
      Text tool , and then drag out a box to put text in. When you see the
      flashing cursor in that box, you’re ready to type. Type in your text,
      and choose a font and a size. For now, leave the text black. Now click
      once on your text to select it. When you see the four dots around it,
      you’ll know it’s selected. Choose Replicate from the Arrange menu. In
      the Replications box, type in a number around 30. The higher the number
      of replications, the smoother the object, but the longer it takes to
      draw. Then choose some numbers for Final Offset. For my example, I
      chose Horizontal Offset -.5 inches, and Vertical Offset -.25 inches.
      You can experiment with different numbers. Just remember that a
      negative number will move the objects left or up, for horizontal or
      vertical respectively. (Another note: set Angle back to zero° before
      clicking OK.) Click OK. Your text will now resemble a big black pile of
      mush. Now click on the top text object to select it. This is actually
      easier than it sounds. Just click once on that general area, and those
      four dots will usually be around the top object automatically. Finally,
      go up to Style and down to Text Color. Choose a light gray from the
      color palette, or go with white for high contrast. Click OK, and you’re
      done. Again, experiment with different colors, numbers, or shapes for
      your own effects. The Replicate command can create some really
      interesting visual effects. Let your imagination go wild; that’s what
      it’s there for. What features would you like to see highlighted next
      month? Use the form on the last page to let us know! page 6 WordPerfect
      Mac News January 1995 The following are some of the most common
      questions that customers ask us at WordPerfect Mac Support. I just
      upgraded from an older version of WordPerfect. Now that I’ve installed,
      I have two copies of WordPerfect; the new one, and the old one. What do
      I do with the old copy? Since they’re separate programs, you can throw
      the old one away. BUT, you may want to keep any documents (stationery,
      etc.) that you created, as well as your old User Dictionary or User
      Word List. When I go to spell-check, I just get a box that says
      “Dictionary.” What gives? WordPerfect has lost the path to the
      Dictionary, and it’s asking you to find it. In that “Dictionary”
      dialog, find the WordPerfect folder, then go into the Language folder.
      In there, you should see “Dictionary (USA)” (or CAN if you have a
      Canadian version). Double-click on it. The Speller will now work, and
      you won’t see that box again. If you don’t see the Dictionary in your
      WordPerfect:Language folder, it may have been moved somewhere else, or
      you may need to reinstall it. How do I turn on my numeric keypad (Num
      Lock)? Shift-Escape, or Shift-Clear (the Clear button on the keypad).
      That turns it off again, too. I need to create a signature line like
      this: . How do I do it? The easiest way is to create some tabs, and
      then underline them. First, to enable tab underlines, choose Other from
      the Style menu, put an ‘X’ in the Tabs box under “Continuous
      Underline,” and click OK. At this point, tab underlining is enabled for
      the entire document. Then go to the place where you want the line to
      be, press Tab a few times, select the empty space you just made, and
      choose Underline from the Style menu. What is Disk Six? When I
      installed WordPerfect 3.1, the Installer never asked for it. Did
      something go wrong? Disk Six, also known as the Document Experts disk,
      is loaded with Clip Art, Express Docs, and Macros. You need to install
      it separately; it doesn’t go in automatically when you install
      WordPerfect. Just put in Disk Six on its own, and launch the Installer.
      page 7 WordPerfect Mac News January 1995 We welcome your comments,
      suggestions, letters, etc. • What did you like about the WordPerfect
      Mac News? • How was the layout? (Easy to find things, not too
      cluttered, graphics helpful?) • What would you change about the
      WordPerfect Mac News? • What features would you like to see highlighted
      in a future issue? • Do you own a copy of WordPerfect for the Mac? Yes
      No • Do you read this magazine on the screen, or do you print it? Read
      on screen Print it out • On the Macintosh, would you describe yourself
      as… A beginner A fairly proficient user A power user • On
      WordPerfect, would you describe yourself as… A beginner A fairly
      proficient user A power user You can fax this form to us at (801)
      222-1990, e-mail to macmail @ wordperfect.com, or “snail mail” to us at
      WP Mac News, MS ORM G-1512, WordPerfect/Novell Applications Group, 1555
      N. Technology Way, Orem UT 84057-2399. If you're having trouble viewing
      the WordPerfect Mac News, you can call for Envoy support at 800861-2080
      ($25 per call), or at 900-555-4545 (first minute free, $2.00 per minute
      thereafter). Again, please send your letters, requests, ideas for
      features, and tips & tricks to us! We reserve the right to edit any
      material received for content and clarity. By sending in material to
      the WordPerfect Mac News, you agree to assign any and all rights,
      title, and interest which you may have to your submission material and
      any work Novell Inc. derives from such submission material to Novell
      Inc. The WordPerfect Mac News was created using WordPerfect 3.1 for
      Macintosh. The headings and the link buttons were created using
      ColorIt!™ 2.3 by MicroFrontier, Inc. Then the whole thing was printed
      to WordPerfect Envoy as a runtime application. WordPerfect 3.1,
      Document Experts, and WordPerfect Envoy are trademarks of Novell, Inc.
      ColorIt!™ is a trademark of MicroFrontier Inc. Apple and Macintosh are
      registered trademarks of Apple Computers Inc. NOTICE PLEASE READ: You
      accept this information with the understanding that Novell, Inc. makes
      no representations or warranties as to the suitability of this
      information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use
      or implement this information in your own setting, you do so at your
      own risk. In no event will Novell, Inc. be liable for any damages,
      whether consequential, incidental, or special, arising out of the use
      of or inability to use the information provided herewith. Copyright
      Novell Incorporated © , 1995. All rights reserved. If you do print out
      the WordPerfect Mac News, please recycle it. page 8