Living Life God's Way 8/2/2004; The Most Quoted Verse

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004

      Everyone thinks of changing the world,
      but no one thinks of changing himself.
      Leo Tolstoy

      The Most Quoted Verse
      Do not judge, and you will not be judged.
      Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.
      Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
      Luke 6:37
      Do you know what is the most quoted Bible verse? I have heard that
      it is Luke 6:37: "Do not judge, and you will not be judged." Those are
      probably not the exact words of the Bible version you use, but accuracy
      is not always high on the list of people who quote verses, especially
      when they quote them to prove a point of their own making. Typically,
      people use this verse to tell others what they should not do.
      Jesus did not give us these words to control others but to
      challenge ourselves. People tend to be hard on others and lax on
      themselves. This verse is speaking to that issue. Sadly, it is used on
      others in that hard way. But that is not the way Jesus intended.
      Aim this verse at your own heart. You are not to be a censorious
      person, constantly evaluating everyone and everything around you. God
      says in Romans 12: 17-21 that we are to leave judgment in His hands.
      There are judgments to be made, and there is to be accountability
      in the community of believers. Aim for the balance here, not the
      extremes. The one extreme takes us to letting anything go on without
      confrontation, which is wrong. The other extreme is the judgmental
      spirit. It is this second extreme that Jesus was addressing here.
      Don't judge others with this verse. Use it on yourself and reap the
      benefit Jesus promised.

      Prayer: "God, help me to challenge myself so that I will be neither a
      censorious person nor undiscerning, but have the balance You desire."
      Faith Walk Devotional; Tony Beckett; 4/1/2004