Living Life God's Way 6/1/2004: Letting Go, Letting God

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:16 PM

      A man leaves all kinds of footprints when he walks through life.
      Some you can see...others are invisible,
      like the prints he leaves across other people's lives.
      Margaret Lee Runbeck

      Letting Go, Letting God
      Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be
      born
      to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of
      ninety?"
      Genesis 17:17
      God's ways are certainly not man's ways. We need to remember that or
      we may be like Abraham, Sarah and Hagar, who at times struggled with
      what God was doing and tried to do what they thought should be done.
      Sometimes the problem is a lack of patience. God promised Abraham
      descendants. When children did not come soon enough, Sarah conceived -
      not an heir but an error. Mankind still suffers the long term effects of
      that decision. God's way was not as fast as what man wanted.
      Sometimes the problem is a lack of imagination. Hagar could not
      imagine staying when Sarah mistreated her. Sarah could not imagine that
      at her age she would have a child. God's way was not imaginable to
      either of them.
      Sometimes the problem is lack of perspective. Abraham was told that
      Sodom was to be destroyed (Gen 18). God saw the sin of the city; Abraham
      saw a city worth sparing. Perhaps there were ten righteous people in it,
      but evidently not. God's way was not the same perspective.
      We can be patient, think things to be impossible and not see things
      as God sees them.
      Or we can study the Bible and learn God's ways. He works things
      according to His timing and watches over us through even the hardest of
      situations. Our determination must be that God's ways will be our ways.

      Do not try to force God into your mold, but allow yourself to be shaped
      by His ways.
      Surrendering control to Him can be difficult but is best.
      Faith Walk Devotional by Tony Beckett; 12/31/2003