Living Life God's Way 3/31/2004: Gifts and Talents

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004

      Understanding is knowing what to do; wisdom is knowing
      what to do next; virtue is actually doing it.
      Tristan Gulberd

      Using Our Gifts and Talents
      To each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common
      good.
      1 Corinthians 12:7
      After I taught a class on spiritual gifts, a young man came to me
      and asked, "Is my gift prophecy or exhortation?"
      Knowing him very well, I was careful as I responded, "I don't think
      either one is your gift. But if I have ever known someone who has the
      gift of helps, you're it. You're sensitive to the needs of other people
      and are always ready to help."
      A look of disappointment came over his face. "I knew it!" he
      responded. Struggling with a low self image, he was pursuing what he
      wrongly perceived to be a greater gift. You will never be fulfilled
      trying to become something you are not.
      God hasn't distributed gifts and talents equally, and for that
      reason alone we can be assured that our sense of self worth isn't to be
      based on what we do. Our self acceptance comes from our identity in
      Christ and our growth in character. Show me someone who understands who
      he is as a child of God and whose character exemplifies the fruit of the
      Spirit, and I will show you someone with a healthy self image.
      Every child of God has the same identity in Christ and opportunity
      to grow. When our identity is firmly established and we have matured to
      the point where the fruit of the Spirit is evident, we will feel
      fulfilled when we use our gifts and talents to edify others.
      God has known us from the foundation of the world. He has entrusted
      us with certain life endowments. He will certainly lead us in a way that
      makes us use our gifts and talents. It is our responsibility to take
      advantage of every opportunity as it arrives. Tragically, many people go
      to the grave with their music still in them, never contributing to the
      symphony of God's work. They never realize their potential nor have
      taken the risks that faith requires. They hang onto the security of the
      tree trunk, but the fruit is always on the end of the limb.
      Lord, I don't want to go the grave without having accomplished my
      purpose. Use my gifts and talents to glorify You and edify others,
      today.
      Nail Anderson's Daily in Christ; 11/18/2003