Living Life God's Way 3/1/2004:When Broken by Stress

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004

      I was enabled to go on because I had the word of a perfect
      Gentleman, never known to break a promise,
      that He would be with me always.
      David Livingstone
      We can trust the promises of God

      When Broken By Stress
      You have let me sink down deep in desperate problems. But you will
      bring me back to life again, up from the depths of the earth!
      Psalm 71:20
      A major cause for brokenness in human life is stress. Often I get
      letters from people saying something like this: "I feel I am on the
      verge of a breakdown. No one thing seems to be responsible for it, but I
      just can't cope. My doctor says I am suffering from stress. Can the
      Bible meet this need?"
      I am bold to say that it can. God can take a person overcome by
      stress and build into their lives insights which will enable them to
      live above and beyond its paralyzing grip. What exactly is "stress?" One
      doctor defines it as "wear and tear on the personality which, if
      uncorrected, can result in a physical or mental breakdown." Donald
      Norfolk, a British osteopath who has made a special study of stress,
      claims that it comes from two main courses: too little change, or too
      much change. To function at peak efficiency, we all need a certain
      amount of change. However, when change comes too fast for us to cope
      with, the personality is put under tremendous stress. Dr. Thomas H.
      Holmes measures stress in terms of "units of change." For example, the
      death of a loved one measures 100 units, divorce 73 units, pregnancy 40
      units, moving or altering a home 25 units, and Christmas 12 units. His
      conclusion is that no one can handle more than 300 units of stress in a
      twelve month period without suffering physically or emotionally during
      the next two years. Holmes, of course, was speaking from a strictly
      human point of view - with God "all things are possible."
      Prayer: Father, You have taught me much on how to turn my weaknesses
      into strengths. Teach me now how to handle stress. I cannot change my
      surroundings - but I can change my attitude. Help me to do this. For
      Jesus' sake. Amen.
      Every Day Light by Selwyn Hughes; 9/12/2003