God’s Gift

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      29 February

      God�s Gift

      Ephesians 5:11-21

      While you received the Holy Spirit in full at salvation�you got all of Him you�re ever going to get�it still is possible not to enjoy a Spirit-filled life.

      Christendom suffers a great deal of confusion in this matter. Many believers pursue a greater "filling" of the Holy Spirit, stressing signs and manifestations as evidence of a Spirit-filled condition. However, we experience a Spirit-filled life when we live under the domination and control of the Holy Spirit, fully surrendered to Him.

      When we are not willfully surrendered to Him, when we carve out and reserve a section of our lives for ourselves, we are not living the Spirit-filled life.

      You may counter, "Wait a minute. If at salvation I received all of the Holy Spirit I�m ever going to get, how can I ever live a life that is less than Spirit-filled?" Perhaps the best illustration is that of the parent-child relationship.

      Suppose a father has a rebellious child. Is the child still under the authority of the father? Yes. Positionally, the child remains under the authority of the father, though functionally he is not remaining under the father�s authority because he is being disobedient. If ever the child repents and changes course, then the perfect relationship is restored.

      So it is with believers. If after our disobedience we repent to our heavenly Father, we immediately are able to experience the Spirit-filled life.

      Charles Stanley
      In Touch

      Ephesians 5
      11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them;
      12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret.
      13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.
      14 For this reason it says,
      "Awake, sleeper,
      And arise from the dead,
      And Christ will shine on you."
      15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,
      16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil.
      17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
      18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,
      19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord;
      20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;
      21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.