An Anchor for the Storms of Life

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
      30 December

      An Anchor for the Storms of Life

      Hebrews 13:5-9

      What do you do when the storms of life come? To whom do you turn? Where do you seek comfort and security during such tumultuous times?

      We all know that these storms come and go unexpectedly all throughout our lives. And yet, even though life tries to keep us off-balance, Scripture assures us that we can maintain a steady footing, regardless of the circumstances. How do we do that?

      There is an amazing truth in the Bible that, once you take hold of it, will keep you steady during the most trying times. That anchor for the storms of life is simply this: Jesus Christ never changes.

      Why is this so vital, and what do we mean by an �anchor�? Think about this: Every single thing in your life�career, relationships, finances�is in a state of constant change. You yourself are even growing and changing every minute of every day. There is nothing we can do to stop this continual change.

      So, if we try to hold tight to these things during our hardships, we cannot keep from being pulled one way or another. Why? Because we have affixed ourselves to something that is itself moving. We have chosen a foundation that isn�t stable.

      However, when we anchor our hopes in Christ, we can be sure that the anchor will hold. He isn�t moving, changing, or leaving. He is the same as He always has been. He is the only sure footing in a world of movement. And He can keep you steady, too.

      Charles Stanley

      Hebrews 13
      5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"
      6 so that we confidently say,
      "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
      WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?"
      7 Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
      8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
      9 Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited.

      In His Mercies,

      Becky

      http://www.geocities.com/inhismercies/

      Isaiah 38:17Behold, it was for my peace that I had intense bitterness; but You have loved back my life from the pit of corruption and nothingness, for You have cast all my sins behind Your back.

    • Becky
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
        31 December

        An Anchor for the Storms of Life

        Proverbs 6:6

        Isn�t it funny what God can use to teach us the most fundamental things? The book of Proverbs tells us that if we want to be wise, we should look at a tiny ant! If we can learn wisdom from the way ants operate, where else might we find some key lessons?

        Let me share an example from my own life. For years and years, I had a dog� a German schnauzer whose name was Rommel. Every afternoon, as I pulled my car into the driveway, there came Rommel to greet me. Many times, he would seem to stand at attention at the top of the drive, as if he were saying, �Welcome home, sir. Everything is under control here!�

        Now sometimes, I had to correct or discipline Rommel for something he had done or for the occasional accident around the house. However, no matter what I did�whether it was spanking him or not giving him enough attention from time to time�he never seemed to love me any less. He was always happy to see me, and he always wanted to be with me.

        One day while I was playing with the dog, the Lord spoke to me. I looked at that pet and said, �Rommel, no matter what I do, you always love me. I�d like to be that kind of friend.�

        This realization taught me something about Jesus. He never changes and His love never waivers, no matter what I do or how I treat Him. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. If a dog can exemplify this simple truth, we should aim for nothing less.

        Charles Stanley

        Proverbs 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise,