Dealing With Immorality

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2003
      08 December

      Dealing With Immorality

      COLOSSIANS 3:5-8

      Our culture is getting used to the dark. Did you realize that? We are living in a darkened society, and even those of us who are believers are becoming so used to the dark that we feel neither shocked nor shamed by much of what is going on around us. In some cases, we see the sin but refuse to acknowledge it is immoral; in other situations, we just don�t notice anymore.
      Throughout the Bible, we are warned of the dangers of immorality and of the desires we have that can lead to sinful acts. God tells us to get rid of immoral and impure behavior as well as lustful passions and evil desires. (Colossians 3:5) The word �immorality� comes from the Greek word �porneia.� It refers to sex outside of marriage and includes homosexuality as well as other forms of sexual indulgence which God has prohibited.
      Having warned us, God makes provision for us to be able to live moral lives, even in a sensual, sexual, immoral society. That provision is the all-sufficient person of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus lives within us and makes us adequate to face every circumstance of life. God enables us to choose what is right, but He does not force us to do it. We have to want to change in order to choose God�s way.
      Confess before God how you have become used to the dark. Ask Him to shed His light on your life to reveal hidden desires and the resultant hazards. Then receive His forgiveness and His equipping to make changes.

      Colossians 3
      5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
      6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,
      7 and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.
      8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.