Running the Race

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003
      Running the Race

      It makes no difference how loudly our friends applaud if God is
      displeased with us. "Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the
      eyes of Him to whom we must give account" (Heb. 4:13, niv), so it's
      futile to try to hide. According to 1 John 1:5–10, once we start
      lying to others (v. 6), we'll soon start lying to ourselves (v. 8);
      and the result will be trying to lie to God (v. 10). This leads to a
      gradual deterioration of character that brings collapse and shame. We
      seek to live a holy life, not to be recognized as "holy people," but
      to please a holy God. We live before Him openly and sincerely, hiding
      nothing, fearing nothing.

      For several years, I've had a plaque on the wall of my study
      containing this quotation from A. W. Tozer: "To know God is at once
      the easiest and the most difficult thing in the world."

      Knowing God and becoming more like Him is the easiest thing in the
      world because God is for us and gives us all the help we want as we
      seek to attain the goal. But it's the hardest thing because almost
      everything within us and around us fights against us, and we have to
      exercise a holy determination to run the race and keep our eyes on
      the Lord (Heb. 12:1–3).

      But it can be done; otherwise, God would never have said eight times
      in His Word, "Be holy, for I am holy!"

      Consider: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud
      of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin
      that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race
      marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and
      perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the
      cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the
      throne of God" (Heb. 12:1–2, niv).

      Read: Hebrews 12

      Action assignment: What in your life is fighting you to keep you from
      being more Christlike and knowing God better? What can you do about
      it? Talk it over with God. Determine to run a better race.

      Warren Wiersbe