Satan’s Strategy

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003

      06 October

      Satan's Strategy

      Genesis 3:1-5

      A few years ago, the defendant in a court case employed an unusual
      argument that came to be known as "the Twinkie defense." This fellow
      argued that he was not responsible for his conduct because he was
      under the influence of a Twinkie he had just eaten. Most of us don't
      blame snack cakes, but we sometimes hear people say, "the Devil made
      me do it." This is a distortion of Scripture. The Devil does not make
      us do anything. However, he does assail us with effective strategies
      that must be overcome so that we can avoid yielding to his pressure
      to sin.

      One of Satan's favorite activities is to fertilize the soil of
      discouragement until it produces doubt and eventually despair. It may
      start with some fond hopes dashed, some broken promises, or a
      betrayed confidence. We become paralyzed and gradually realize that
      we are either wallowing in pity or angry at God. Into this noxious
      mixture, the Devil injects doubt. Where is God? Are His promises
      reliable? Does He really care? How could He allow such injustice?

      The questions churn and multiply until we find ourselves on the edge
      of a powerful vortex pulling us to despair. We rarely realize it, but
      during the whole process, we have been listening to lies and allowing
      them a toehold in our minds.

      To prevent the toehold from becoming a stronghold, it is necessary to
      intercept untruths at the very start. As soon as you are
      asked, "Indeed, has God said . . . ?" steadfastly resist falsehood by
      standing on the truth of God's Word.

      Copyright © 2003 IN TOUCH Magazine. In Touch Ministries. All Rights
      Reserved.