    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2013

      �Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the
      Spirit who calls out, �Abba, Father.� So you are no longer a slave, but a
      son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir� (Galatians
      4:6-7 NIV).

      Recently, one of my online contacts asked me whether one can ask for the
      Holy Spirit or not. Let me based my devotional message this week on this
      question and the answer I gave the contact. The question about asking for
      the Holy Spirit is both theological and semantic. It is theological because
      it has to do with the third Person in the Godhead, and it is semantic
      because it is somehow a wordplay on when and how the Holy Spirit indwells a
      believer. Let me say here that when the Holy Spirit indwells a believer has
      been a controversial issue between the Pentecostals and the Evangelicals
      because of their different ways of interpreting the Bible. Since I am an
      Evangelical, I will first give the Evangelical position and later refer to
      the Pentecostal position. The Holy Spirit indwells a believer the moment
      such person believes in Jesus Christ and invites Him into his/her life as
      his/her personal Saviour and Lord (John 1:12-13; 14:16; Romans 8:15-17;
      Galatians 4:5-7; Ephesians 1:13) and He is there forever! However, the Holy
      Spirit may be �dormant� in the life of any believer that does not allow Him
      to operate. That is why Paul urged against such in Ephesians 4:30 and 1
      Thessalonians 5:19. So, it is not out of place to pray that the Holy Spirit
      should have full control of one�s life after one has consciously
      surrendered oneself to Him.

      The Pentecostals on the other hands capitalize on some passages of the
      Bible like Luke 11:13; Acts 1:8 and other similar passages (especially in
      the Old Testament) to say that one has to ask for the indwelling of the
      Holy Spirit. Those passages are interpreted by the Evangelicals in line
      with what is called �Dispensational Theology.� How and why will I ask for
      Who (that is, the Holy Spirit) God has graciously given me if truly I am a
      believer in Christ?

      Another mixed-up issue that the Pentecostals make has to do with the gifts
      and manifestations of the Holy Spirit. These are entirely different from
      the Person of the Holy Spirit that is already living eternally with the
      believer! A believer can pray for the gifts and/or the manifestations of
      the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:31; 14:1).

      Either Evangelical or Pentecostal, the big question is: are you really a
      child of God? �[Jesus Christ] came to that which was his own, but his own
      did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in
      his name, he gave the right to become children of God - children born not
      of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of
      God� (John 1:11-13 NIV). Have you received Him into your life? You do not
      need to ask for (the indwelling of) the Holy Spirit if you have done so,
      but you can ask that He fill you with His power.

      Prayer Point: Pray that you make your life conducive for the indwelling of
      the Holy Spirit and that you will yield yourself to His leadership so that
      He will manifest His power in your life.

      BB PIN:29275BB9