    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013

      WHO IS YOUR "GOD"?

      "When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the
      mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, 'Come, make us gods who will
      go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we
      don't know what has happened to him'" (Exodus 32:1 NIV).

      "As for us, the LORD is our God, and we have not forsaken him" (2
      Chronicles 13:10 NIV).

      The nation of Israel that Moses led out of bondage in Egypt was stubborn.
      Their stubbornness against God's plan started to manifest the day Pharaoh
      increased their burden for asking for "a three-day journey into the desert
      to offer sacrifices the LORD" (see Exodus 5). However, their statement in
      Exodus 32:1 indicates that Moses had become their god. When Moses stayed
      with the LORD on their behalf and they did not see him, they wanted another
      "god" that would continue to lead them in their journey.

      Was Moses really the person that led them out of Egypt or he was just an
      instrument in the hands of God, the real Deliverer? Was it necessary for
      the people of Israel to see Moses before they could proceed in their
      journey to the Promise Land? Should they have any visible "god" that would
      lead them to their destination?

      Many at times we also think and behave like the Israelites. We worship a
      particular person or thing. Knowingly or unknowingly, we idolize such
      person or thing. Any attempt to lose the person or thing, we would also
      lose hope and try to find alternative in another person or thing.

      To some people, pastors and other leaders are "gods." When the pastors or
      the leaders are in sight, such people would be active in the church
      activities and in their spiritual lives. Reverse would be the case when the
      pastor or the leader is not.

      Who or what is your "god"? In who or what do you put your hope? The writer
      of the book of Hebrews admonishes, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the
      author and perfecter of our faith?" (12:2 NIV). Fixing your eyes on any
      other person or thing will land you in the same syndrome as the people of
      Israel. Let the LORD God be your God. Trust only in Him. He will not let
      you down.

      "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the
      LORD our God" (Psalm 20:7 NIV).

      This message was first sent out on February 29, 2004.

      BB PIN:29275BB9