    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2013

      "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1

      "Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those
      who live according to the pattern we gave you" (Philippians 3:17 NIV).

      My one-year-old daughter has adopted his older brother's way of greeting.
      Instead of kneeling down (as the custom of girls and young women among the
      Yorubas), she likes to prostrate (as boys and young men do). She likes to
      imitate his brother rather than taking to our (her parents') instruction
      about mode of greeting.

      Her action has a spiritual and moral meaning. Young people tend to imitate
      what they see more than what they hear. Young ones often look up to people
      older than them for direction. To imitate what people do than listen to
      their instructions is no doubt natural.

      The history of the Israelites points to this. In spite of the fact that
      Israelites had the written Law through Moses and many priests and prophets
      they loved to do what the ungodly leaders did. However, when godly leaders
      reigned, they were focused. Why? Leaders influence followers.

      People seldom read the Bible. We Christians, especially Christian leaders
      are their "books." They read us. They have a tendency of imitating what we
      do than what we say at times.

      You are a leader! Some people are looking up to you as their role model.
      Are your actions matching your message? Example is better than precepts.
      What will people imitate from you? Can you say like Paul, "Follow my
      example, as I follow the example of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV)?

      Whatever our verbal instructions to other people, our action (character)
      speaks louder than our voice. Ask God to enable you live a life that will
      be a portrait of your message.

      Prayer Point: Help me, O Lord, that my action will not mislead other people.

      This message was first sent out on June 20, 2004.