O JESUS, I HAVE PROMISED

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13 2:10 PM

      O JESUS, I HAVE PROMISED

      �You are my portion, O Lord; I have promised to obey your words� (Psalm
      119:57 NIV).

      �As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, �I will follow you
      wherever you go�� (Luke 9:57 NIV).

      �Mo ti seleri, Jesu� the Yoruba version of the hymn, �O Jesus, I Have
      Promised� was one of the hymns I loved when I was growing up as a teenager.
      I could sing off-hand almost all the lyrics of the hymn in Yoruba. It is a
      hymn of commitment composed by John Ernest Bode (1816-1874), an Anglican
      clergyman serving a small parish near Cambridge, England when his three
      children, a daughter and two sons, were ready for confirmation. As the
      priest of the church, he would preside over the ceremony. So, he composed
      the hymn to remind the children of their commitment to Jesus Christ, the
      spiritual warfare that is associated with Christian life, and the fact that
      if Jesus Christ is with them, they will overcome and in the end be with Him
      in Heaven.

      In this hymn, John Bode declared that he had promised to serve Jesus to the
      end and asked Jesus who he knew as �my Master and my friend� to be near him
      forever. He confessed that he would not fear the battle if Jesus is by his
      side, nor wander from the pathway if He would be his guide. Because of many
      temptations that the world often offers the Christian and the fact that
      foes are ever near both within and without, John Bode prayed that he feels
      Jesus near him and shield his soul from sin. He continued to pray that he
      hear Jesus speaking in accents clear and still above the storms of passion
      and the murmurs of self-will. Because Jesus is the guardian of his soul, he
      wanted Him to speak to reassure him and make him listen to Him. John Bode
      reminded Jesus that He has promised all who follow Him that where He is in
      glory there shall they also be. Therefore, he reaffirmed his promise to
      Jesus to serve Him to the end. John Bode also prayed that he see the
      footprints of Jesus, and desired to plant his own footprints in them. He
      affirmed that his hope is to duly follow alone in the strength of Jesus. He
      wanted Jesus, his Savior and Friend, to guide him, call him, draw him,
      uphold him to the end, and receive him in Heaven. What a great commitment!

      What is your commitment to Jesus Christ? Have you promised to follow and
      serve Him till the end? Are you ready to listen to Him and let Him be your
      Guide? You will never regret you did!

      Prayer Point: Pray that you will be committed to faithfully following and
      serving Jesus for the rest of your life.