DO YOU RECOGNIZE HIM?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013

      DO YOU RECOGNIZE HIM?

      ��Woman," [Jesus] said, �why are you crying? Who is it you are looking
      for?� Thinking he was the gardener, [Mary Magdalene] said, "Sir, if you
      have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him��
      (John 20:15 NIV).

      This year Easter season has come and gone, but many lessons are to be
      learnt from the events that surrounded the season. One of the lessons has
      to do with Mary Magdalene. Here was a woman that once possessed seven
      demons before Jesus cast them out of her (see Luke 8:2). Here was a woman
      that devotedly followed and supported Jesus in His earthly ministry (see
      Luke 8:3). Here was a woman that identified with Jesus in His suffering and
      death on the cross (see Matthew 27:55; Mark 15:40). Here was a woman who
      with other women monitored the burial of Jesus while His disciples were
      nowhere to be found (Mark 15:47). Here was a woman who with other women
      arose early on the first day of the week to go and anoint the corpse of
      Jesus (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:1) and even stayed behind to weep profusely
      for the seemingly �lost� corpse (John 20:11). What a devoted woman!

      Nonetheless, the sorrow that overwhelmed Mary Magdalene did not let her
      recognize Jesus Christ when He appeared to her. She thought that He was a
      gardener! She could recognize Jesus only when Jesus called her by name.
      Interestingly, some of the disciples that went to fish after the
      resurrection also did not recognize Jesus until He performed a miracle (see
      John 21:1-7).

      On many occasions, we allow our circumstances to blind us from recognizing
      the fact that God is with us even in those circumstances. The psalmist
      said, �Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
      fear no evil, FOR YOU ARE WITH ME; your rod and your staff, they comfort
      me� (23:4 NIV emphasis mine). The psalmist recognized God even in his
      circumstance, and he put his trust in Him.

      What are you passing through at the moment? Are you so overwhelmed with the
      situation that you do not recognize God in it? It may seem as if He is not
      there, but God is indeed nearby to help you out of the situation because
      He �...is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble� (Psalm
      46:1 NIV).

      Prayer Point: Help me Lord that my circumstance will not blind my eyes to
      recognize you in the circumstance.