"SHE CLOSED ONLY ONE EYE!"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2013

      "SHE CLOSED ONLY ONE EYE!"

      "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no
      attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother,
      'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank
      in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye,
      and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye"
      (Matthew 7:3-5 NIV).

      Although it is not specifically stated in the Scriptures that we have to
      close our eyes when we are praying, but it has become a general norm. This
      norm made my five-year old son to accuse his two-year old sister
      immediately we finished our morning devotion one day that she closed only
      one eye when we were praying. The question that his mother and I asked him
      was that how did he know that she did not close her two eyes when we were
      praying. Definitely, he did not close his eyes when we were praying. He
      could not deny this fact.

      This incident reminded me of the words Jesus Christ quoted above. Many
      people are quick to see the weakness and wrongdoing of others while they
      find it difficult to identify theirs. Actually, it is easier to see the
      faults of other people around us, but failure to see our own faults would
      be an act of hypocrisy.

      Therefore, let us learn to always look inward to ourselves before we look
      outward to others to point an accusing finger for anything done wrong. Even
      when it is glaring that the other people are at fault, let us be slow and
      wise is pointing this out, remembering that we also are not perfect.

      King David fell into this act of quick judgment when Prophet Nathan came to
      accuse him about Bathsheba affair. He was quick to see the wrongdoing of a
      rich man that had cheated a poor man, and even pronounced judgment on the
      rich man immediately. Nathan's response was, "You are the man!" (2 Samuel
      12:7, NIV).

      Lord, help me to be slow to see the faults of others, but quick to see mine
      and even be ready to change my ways for good. Amen.

      This message was first sent on March 20, 2005.