THE FIRST NOEL

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2012

      THE FIRST NOEL

      "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch
      over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the
      glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel
      said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that
      will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been
      born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will
      find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger'" (Luke 2:8-12 NIV).

      Historically, December 25 was the climax day for the celebration of
      Saturnalia, an ancient Roman festival in honour of the deity Saturn.
      However, the day has been adopted worldwide as the birth date of Jesus
      Christ, thereby dumping the worship of Saturn to the celebration of God the
      Son who "was made visible in human flesh" to "save His people from their
      sins" (1 Timothy 3:16; Matthew 1:21 AMP). Matthew Chapters One and Two and
      Luke Chapters One and Two chronicled the birth of Jesus Christ regarded as
      the first Christmas. An unknown poet composed a popular Christmas hymn
      titled "THE FIRST NOEL THE ANGEL DID SAY" to portray the event. This hymn
      is a traditional classical English carol, most likely from the 18th
      century, although possibly earlier. The word Noel comes from the French
      word Noël meaning "Christmas", from the Latin word "natalis" that means
      "birthday".

      On the first Noel, after the birth of Jesus Christ, an angel went to
      certain poor shepherds as they lay in fields keeping their sheep on a cold
      winter's night that was so deep, and informed them that the King of Israel
      was born. The shepherds looked up and saw a star shining in the east beyond
      them far. The star gave great light to the earth as it continued to shine
      both day and night. By the light of that same star some wise men came from
      a far country. Their intent was to seek for the King, and to follow the
      star wherever it went. This star drew near to the northwest and took its
      rest over Bethlehem, right over the place where Jesus was laid. The wise
      men entered in full reverence upon their knees, and offered there in His
      presence their gifts made of gold, and myrrh, and frankincense.

      The unknown poet then concluded his hymn with this great lesson: "let us
      all with one accord sing praises to our heavenly Lord; that hath made
      heaven and earth of nought, and with his blood mankind hath bought." As we
      are celebrating Christmas this year, let us worship the King, Jesus Christ,
      with our lives and everything that we have for what He has done for us
      through His coming to the world.

      Once again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (2013) in advance!