WHY THANKSGIVING?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2012

      WHY THANKSGIVING?

      "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, And to sing praises to Your name, O
      Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, And Your
      faithfulness every night" (Psalm 92:1-2 NKJV).

      Thanksgiving Day is a holiday celebrated in the United States on the fourth
      Thursday in November. It has officially been an annual tradition since
      1863, when, during the US Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a
      national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who
      dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on Thursday, November 26.
      However, most stories of Thanksgiving history start with the harvest
      celebration of the Pilgrims (that came from England to settle in the "New
      World") and the Native Americans that took place in the autumn of 1621.
      Historians and Jewish sources have pointed out that America's Thanksgiving
      holiday may not have been a totally new celebration, but that its roots may
      celebration of the ingathering of all the fruits of the year (see Exodus
      23:16; Leviticus 23:34-36, 39-43; Numbers 29:12-38; Deuteronomy 16:13-15;
      31:10-13). Many people in other parts of the world have adopted or adapted
      this celebration as annual event to thank God for His goodness in the year.

      Apart from God's goodness, why should one thank God? Why thanksgiving? The
      goodness of God alone is enough to thank Him! Many writers of the books of
      the Bible declared this (see Psalm 31:19; 36:7-10; 73:1, 24-26; 92:1-15;
      116:12; 136:1-26; 145:7-9; Isaiah 12:1-6; Lamentation 3:23-25; 1 John
      3:1-2). However, it is a command to thank God, not only during Thanksgiving
      Day or Celebration, but all the time (see Psalm 50:14; Ephesians 5:20;
      Philippians 4:6; Colossians 3:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; Hebrews 13:15).
      Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 5:18, further said that it is the will of God for
      us to do so. Another reason why we should thank God is that we are
      honouring Him by doing so (Psalm 22:23; 50:23; 69:30-31). Furthermore, if
      one is thankful, one is bound to get more goodness from God. The story of
      the thankful leper in Luke 17:11-17 buttresses this. Someone has said,
      "Whoever possesses any good without giving thanks for it deprives him who
      bestows that good of his glory, sets a bad example before others, and
      prepares a recollection severely painful for himself when he comes in his
      turn to experience ingratitude."

      We are already in the season of thanksgiving. Do you have any reason to
      thank God? Why thanksgiving? Do not be unthankful. If you think very well,
      you will know that it is indeed good to thank God and sing praises to His
      name.

      COUNTDOWN TO THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF MY INTERNET MINISTRY

      The anniversary will take place exactly on February 18, 2013. I am still
      contemplating on how to celebrate this milestone. Do you have any
      suggestion? However, I have decided to publish three books to mark the
      event:

      1. A collection of my daily quotes (first volume [A collection of 366
      quotes, with corresponding Bible verses, hymns and suggested weblinks for
      the hymns] already published online as eBook [
      http://www.lulu.com/shop/adebayo-afolaranmi/spiritual-digest-for-each-day-of-the-year-ebook/ebook/product-20490074.html;jsessionid=FE537DE9AE219436969EB497AD64C820#<http://www.lulu.com/shop/adebayo-afolaranmi/spiritual-digest-for-each-day-of-the-year-ebook/ebook/product-20490074.html;jsessionid=FE537DE9AE219436969EB497AD64C820>]
      and printed book [
      http://www.lulu.com/shop/adebayo-afolaranmi/spiritual-digest-for-each-day-of-the-year/paperback/product-20490093.html#<http://www.lulu.com/shop/adebayo-afolaranmi/spiritual-digest-for-each-day-of-the-year/paperback/product-20490093.html>]).
      You can order for it NOW!

      2. A collection of my weekly messages (first volume to be compiled by one
      of my pastor-friends).

      3. My experience in the ministry in the past 10 years with people' s
      reactions. (I need your reactions to be included there!)

      The three books will be published online for people throughout the world to
      easily have access to them. Indeed, I thank God for this unique
      opportunity. I need your suggestions and assistance in celebrating the
      event.

      You also will be celebrated in Jesus' name. Amen.