    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2012

      "Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a
      large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (that is, the
      Son of Timaeus), was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard that it
      was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, 'Jesus, Son of David, have mercy
      on me!' Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the
      more, 'Son of David, have mercy on me!'" (Mark 10:46-48 NIV).

      Undoubtedly, the hymn, "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior," is one of the most
      popular hymns of all time. Interestingly, it was composed (like many other
      popular hymns) by Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915), a woman that became blind
      at six weeks of age. There are two stories associated with this hymn. One,
      it was reported that Ms. Crosby had a dream one night. She dreamed that the
      Lord Jesus was walking among the people in her church and touching each of
      those who would go to Heaven with Him. As He got closer she started to
      fervently pray that He would not pass her by. When she awoke she penned the
      words to this lovely song and was able to describe in detail the people in
      her church even though she had never seen them. Two, it was believed that
      the inspiration for this hymn was the result of a visit to a prison by Ms.
      Crosby during spring 1868. After she had spoken and some of her hymns had
      been sung, she heard one of the prisoners cry out in a pleading voice,
      "Good Lord, do not pass me by." That evening, she wrote a hymn that
      incorporated the line, �Pass me not, O gentle Savior.�

      Whichever of the incidents that made Ms. Croby composed the hymn, the
      lyrics are so inspiring. The hymn is a humble cry of Fanny Crosby and any
      other person that does not want the gentle Savior to pass him/her by while
      He is calling other people. Kneeling at the Savior's throne of mercy in
      deep contrition, Crosby sought to find a sweet relief for her unbelief. She
      trusted in the Savior's merit and grace for healing of her wounded and
      broken spirit. She confessed that the Savior is the Spring of all her
      comfort, who is more than life to her because He is the only One she had on
      earth and in heaven.

      What is your own situation presently? Will you not also cry unto this
      Savior of the world not to pass you by? Call unto Him like that blind
      Bartimaeus in Mark 10:46. He will surely listen to you if you can call Him
      in faith (see Psalm 50:15; 91:15; Jeremiah 33:3; Zechariah 13:9; James