WAIT, AND MURMUR NOT

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2012

      WAIT, AND MURMUR NOT

      "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord" (Psalm
      27:14 NIV).

      Little is known historically about the hymn "WAIT, AND MURMUR NOT" and its
      writer, W.H. Bellamy. However, the hymn is one of the comforting hymns for
      anyone who is passing through a difficult time. The writer referred to such
      a person as the "troubled heart" and reminded him that there is a home
      beyond the reach of toil and care where changes never come. Apostle Paul
      explained further about this home as "a building from God, an eternal house
      in heaven, not built by human hands" which is devoid of any groan (2
      Corinthians 5:1ff NIV). The home is an "an inheritance that can never
      perish, spoil or fade � kept in heaven for you" (1 Peter 1:4 NIV). Who
      would not want to go and rest there? Therefore, the trouble heart should
      wait and murmur not!

      Even though God may allow one to be bowed down beneath the earthly load,
      because "Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being
      renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for
      us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on
      what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but
      what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV). Therefore, one
      should still look up to the blessings above and meekly wait and murmur not.

      One may have some worldly thorns in one's path like Paul who had an
      undisclosed "thorn in his flesh" (see 2 Corinthians 12:7). This should
      remind one of Jesus Christ who bore thorns on His brow. Even if your heart
      is full of grief, Remember that Jesus Christ was described as "a man of
      sorrows, and familiar with suffering" (Isaiah 53:3 NIV), and He did suffer
      when He was on earth, but He triumphed over His grief and suffering (see
      Revelation 5:5).

      Are you a "troubled heart"? What are you passing through that is making you
      to lose hope? I join W.H. Bellamy as he concluded his hymn by encouraging
      you that you should toil on without thinking that your sigh is unheard or
      your prayers are forgotten, because the day of rest will dawn for us. The
      psalmist declared, "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness
      of the Lord in the land of the living" (Psalm 27:13 NIV). So, "Wait, meekly
      wait, and murmur not."