    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2012

      "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?"
      (Psalm 139:7 NIV).

      The omnipresent nature of God is affirmed throughout the Bible. Psalm 139
      is especially written for this purpose. God is everywhere. There is no
      hiding place from Him. He is the unseen companion of man wherever man finds

      This fact of the presence of God is both an encouraging and warning fact.
      It is encouraging to know that the God of the whole universe is with you
      when you are passing through the darkest path of life. The psalmist says,
      "...Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
      fear no evil, for you are with me..." (Psalm 23:4 NIV. See also Psalm
      46:11; Isaiah 43:1-2). Jesus Christ also promises, "...surely I am with you
      always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20 NIV). Paul sums this
      encouraging fact in this affirmation, "...If God is for us, who can be
      against us?" (Romans 8:31 NIV).

      Nevertheless, the presence of God is also a warning to us in everything we
      are doing. Here is a story of a man who took his son to another man's farm.
      When they got there, he placed his son in a vantage place and told him to
      call out when the son sees anyone coming as he (the father) will be
      stealing the farm products of the other man. The man was about to start his
      theft when the son called out. The man could not see anybody coming and he
      queried the son for his action. The son pointed to heaven and said, "God is
      there looking at you!" The man was dumbfounded and thanked his son for his
      wisdom. He left the farm immediately without taking anything. The boy
      seemed to be referring to Proverbs 5:21, "For a man's ways are in full view
      of the LORD, and he examines all his paths" (NIV).

      If everyone is like that son who was conscious of the presence of God,
      everyone would be cautious in doing, or even thinking to do, any bad thing.
      No wonder the psalmist concludes his writing about the omnipresence of God
      by saying, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my
      anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in
      the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-24 NIV).

      This message was first sent out on June 5, 2005.