MAN PROPOSES GOD DISPOSES

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2012

      MAN PROPOSES GOD DISPOSES

      "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that
      prevails" (Proverbs 19:21 NIV).

      Human beings have many plans both short-term and long-term that they intend
      to accomplish. Most of these plans even have definite times that human
      beings want to carry them out. The fact that human beings could carry out
      these plans as planned makes them take most of these plans for granted. It
      is only when such plans cannot be carried out as planned that human beings
      resort to fate or chance. Most of the time, many people do not remember
      that it is God that disposes what man proposes. Many people indeed have
      forgotten the words of the writer of the book of Proverbs: "In his heart a
      man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps" (16:9 NIV).

      This fact was evident in my affairs recently. I could not meet my target in
      the office that day, so I planned that I will do extra work in the office
      the following day. However, as I was preparing to set out for the office on
      the following day, I received a phone call from one of my cousins that he
      had an auto accident the previous night, that he was in a hospital
      receiving treatment from injuries he sustained from the accident, and that
      I should come to his aid there immediately. I was destabilized by the news
      because that would mean I will not be able to go to my office that day to
      carry out my daily duties and even do extra work as I planned the previous
      day. Though, the relation was discharged that day from the hospital, I
      spent the whole day attending to his needs and could not do anything that I
      planned beforehand for the day. Man proposes, God disposes!

      Only if human beings will realize this and always involve God in their
      planning. James in his epistle said, "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or
      tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on
      business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen
      tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while
      and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we
      will live and do this or that'" (James 4:13-15 NIV).

      What are your plans for the next minute, hour, day, week, month, or year?
      Do you involve God in these plans? Can you specifically say what will
      happen in the next minute not to talk of next year? The bottom-line is that
      only God determines what will happen next minute, hour, day, week, month,
      or year. However, this does not mean that one must not have a plan or
      purpose for his future activities either short-time or long-time. Only
      acknowledge God in everything you are planning to do, and He will keep you
      on the right track (see Proverbs 3:6).