I HAVE FOUND A FRIEND IN JESUS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2012
      *Dearly Beloved,*

      *I HAVE FOUND A FRIEND IN JESUS*

      *"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his
      master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that
      I learned from my Father I have made known to you" (John 15:15 NIV).*

      *The hymn "I have found a friend in Jesus" also known as "The Lily of the
      Valley" is one of my favourite hymns. Little is known about the history of
      the hymn apart from the fact that it was composed by William Charles Fry
      (1837�1882) in Lincoln, England, while working with the Salvation Army. Fry
      declared that he had found a friend in Jesus because He is everything to
      him. He compared Jesus to the lily of the valley, the "Beloved" in the Song
      of Songs' love characters (Song of Songs 2:1). Undoubtedly, this lily of
      the valley symbolizes the sweetness, purity, fruitfulness, humility, and
      healing qualities of Jesus Christ. Fry could see only in Jesus all he
      needed to be cleansed and be made fully whole. He declared that Jesus was
      his comfort in sorrow and in trouble because Jesus has told him to roll
      every care on Him for He cares. Jesus is indeed "the Lily of the Valley,
      the Bright and Morning Star, He�s the fairest of ten thousand to my soul."*

      *Apart from William Charles Fry's declaration in that hymn, Jesus Christ
      Himself chose everyone who accepts Him as friend and He did not only
      promise to do many things for His friends, He did lay down His life as a
      ransom for His friends (see John 15:13; Ephesians 5:2; Romans 5:6-8; 1
      Timothy 2:6). As a friend of Jesus, anyone who accepts Him as his Saviour
      and Lord will learn many things from Him (John 15:15), in fact, Jesus,
      through the Holy Spirit, will reveal many mysteries to him (Ephesians 1:9;
      3:5; Colossians 1:26). Such a friend will have direct access to the throne
      of grace to approach God without any intermediary except Jesus Christ
      (Hebrews 4:14-16; 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; 1 John 2:1). In fact, He "...is a
      friend who sticks closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24 NIV).*

      *Fry continued in his hymn to testify more about this great Friend who has
      taken his grief, borne all his sorrows, and has become his strong and
      mighty tower in temptation. He declared that though all the world forsakes
      him, and Satan painfully tempts him, he would safely reach the heavenly
      goal through Jesus. Therefore, he forsook all from his heart for Him. He
      also testified that Jesus will never, never leave him, nor yet forsake him
      here, that as he lived by faith and did the will of Jesus, Jesus would be a
      wall of fire around him. So, he would have nothing to fear, for from Jesus'
      manna He shall fill his hungry soul. Indeed, he found a great Friend in
      Jesus! *

      *Have you found such a Friend in Jesus Christ? Can you confess like William
      Charles Fry that Jesus Christ is everything to you? Invite Him into your
      life today and allow Him to take total control of your life. You will
      really enjoy Him!*

      *In His service,*

      *Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). *