IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2012
      *Dearly Beloved,*

      *IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL*

      *�But God will rescue me; he will save me from the power of death� (Psalm
      49:15 TEV).*

      *The hymn, �It is Well with My Soul� is one of the most popular Christian
      hymns. Horatio Gates Spafford (1828�1888) composed it. When Spafford was
      forty-three years old as a Chicago businessman, he suffered financial
      disaster in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. He and his wife were still
      grieving over the death of their son shortly before the fire, and he
      realized they needed to get away for a vacation. Knowing that their friend
      Dwight L. Moody was going to be preaching in evangelistic campaigns in
      England that fall, Spafford decided to take the entire family to England.
      His wife and four daughters went ahead by a ship, and he planned to follow
      in a few days. Nevertheless, on the Atlantic Ocean, an iron sailing vessel
      struck the ship and the ship sank within twelve minutes. Two hundred and
      twenty-six lives were lost � including the Spaffords� four daughters. When
      the survivors were brought to shore at Cardiff, Wales, Mrs. Anna Spafford
      cabled her husband with two words: �Saved alone.� Spafford booked passage
      on the next ship. As they were crossing the Atlantic, the captain pointed
      out the place where he thought the first ship had gone down. That night,
      Spafford penned the words of the hymn: �When peace like a river attendeth
      my way... it is well, it is well with my soul.� Horatio and Anna Spafford
      later moved to Israel and became channels of God�s blessings to many people
      there. It was indeed well with their souls.*

      *One of the close associates of Jesus Christ betrayed Him. He was arrested,
      tried and condemned to die on the cross. He was crucified and died.
      However, as the Psalmist prophesied in Psalm 49:15, God saved Him from the
      power of death, and He resurrected on the third day. The suffering and
      death of Jesus Christ were not pleasant, but He triumphed over everything.
      Today, His name is exalted above every other name �that at the name of
      Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
      and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
      Father� (Philippians 2:10-11 NIV).*

      *Trial, temptation, hardship, calamity, death of loved one, or anything
      that happens to us is not the end of the road. No matter what you may be
      passing through, the Lord will indeed rescue you from all of it and you
      will join Horatio Spafford to sincerely sing, �It is well with my soul, It
      is well, it is well with my soul.� �Weeping may remain for a night, but
      rejoicing comes in the morning� (Psalm 30:5 NIV).*

      *In His service,*

      *Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).*

      *NB*

      *1. This message was first sent out on April 4, 2009.*

      *2. Since April 2, 2012, I have started another aspect in my Internet
      ministry - "Ministering through Daily Hymns" - where I daily send out
      almost corresponding hymns to my daily quotes (another aspect of the
      ministry) through Facebook, a weblog, WhatsApp and BlackBerry Messenger. I
      have just created a Yahoo group where people be receiving a hymn daily by
      email. So, if you have interest in receiving a hymn daily by email, do any
      of these three options: a) visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MinisteringthroughDailyHymns/ and join the
      group; or b) send an empty mail to <
      MinisteringthroughDailyHymns-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>.*