GOD'S FAITHFULNESS IN SPITE OF ALL ODDS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2012

      GOD'S FAITHFULNESS IN SPITE OF ALL ODDS

      "But now, this is what the Lord says � he who created you, O Jacob, he who
      formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned
      you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with
      you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
      When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not
      set you ablaze'" (Isaiah 43:1-2 NIV).

      There is a Yoruba adage: "Bi alagbede ba n lu irin ni oju kan, o ni ohun ti
      alagbede fe mu jade nibe ni." Literally: "When a blacksmith is hitting the
      same spot on a piece of iron, he wants to bring something out of it." This
      will be the third message in three weeks that the Lord would lead me to
      talk about His faithfulness. The first message was about the futility in
      the promises of man compared to the faithfulness in the promises of God.
      The second message, based on a popular hymn - "GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS" -
      composed by Thomas O. Chisholm, reemphasised magnitude of the faithfulness
      of God to His people. This message will focus more on the faithfulness of
      God to His people especially in difficult time.

      It is evident that many people are experiencing difficult time every day.
      Many of such people may be inclined to presuppose that God is not faithful
      to them. This has made some people to even doubt the existence and/or the
      power of God. However, one's disposition and focus will guide one in this
      matter. If one focuses on the problem, the problem will seem to be bigger
      than God, but, if in spite of one's problem, one focuses on God, one will
      discover that God is far above the prevailing problem.

      This passage, "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His
      compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your
      faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22-23, NKJV), is one of the most popular
      passages of the Bible when one is discussing about the faithfulness of God.
      However, it is interesting to note that it is found in a lamentation of a
      prophet who was agonizing for the sins of the people of Judah and the
      eventual calamity that befell them. Here was a prophet that was rejected by
      his own people because he dared to declare the words of God to them. He
      wrote the book of Lamentations in despair of this situation. Nevertheless,
      because he focused on God, he turned from contemplating his misery to
      remembering God's mercy. In spite of his pain and sorrow, he recollected
      the faithfulness of the Lord, and this gave him hope (Lamentations
      3:19-21). His right focus made him to realize that the Lord is good to
      those that focus on Him, and therefore, he advised that it is good to wait
      patiently and silently for the Lord to work and accomplish His will in His
      time (verves 25-28).

      The psalmist in that popular psalm said, "Even though I walk through the
      valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you [that is, God]
      are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me" (Psalm 23:4 NIV). He
      went further to declare the faithfulness of God in providing for, and
      elevating him even in the presence of enemies, and he knew that the
      faithfulness would be his portion forever (Psalm 23:5-6). Job, in spite of
      his sufferings, said, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him..." (Job
      13:15 NIV). There are many other Bible passages that allude to God's
      faithfulness in spite of all odds (see Deuteronomy 31:6-8; Psalm 91:15;
      Isaiah 8:9-10; 41:10, 14; 43:1-2; Matthew 28:20; Acts 18:9-10; Romans
      8:28-39; 2 Corinthians 12:9-12; Ephesians 3:20-21; Hebrews 13:5).

      Are you still doubting about God's faithfulness over your life? It may be
      that you are focusing more on your circumstances. Focus more on God and you
      will know that surely He is faithful in spite of all odds.