UNEXPECTED BLESSING

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2012

      UNEXPECTED BLESSING

      �David was afraid of God that day and asked, �How can I ever bring the ark
      of God to me?� He did not take the ark to be with him in the City of David.
      Instead, he took it aside to the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite. The ark of
      God remained with the family of Obed-Edom in his house for three months,
      and the LORD blessed his household and everything he had� (1 Chronicles
      13:12-14 NIV).

      The Lord had just established the kingdom of the whole Israel in the hand
      of David. David was returning the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem the new
      capital amidst jubilation with the Levites, the priests, and the whole
      people of Israel, but the Lord killed Uzzah because he was preventing the
      ark from falling. David was afraid to bring the ark to his city. He left it
      at the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite.

      What was the intention of King David? Did he mean well for Obed-Edom? Only
      God knows. But apparently, he did not mean well for Obed-Edom having known
      that the ark was sacred. What would have been the reaction of Obed-Edom and
      his family when the �unquestionable� king took such �dangerous� decision?

      Undoubtedly, they would have prepared for the worst. However, the
      �dangerous� sacred object became a channel of blessing to Obed-Edom and his
      family! (1 Chronicles 13:12-14; 26:4-5).

      Two lessons can be deduced from this. Firstly, do not panic when people are
      been wicked to you. Who knows, God may turn their wickedness to blessings
      for you. When they were regretting their action of selling him to slavery,
      Joseph told his brothers, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You
      intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now
      being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will
      provide for you and your children" (Genesis 50:19-21 NIV).

      Secondly, be useful for the work of God. We do not know if Obed-Edom
      willingly accepted the Ark of the Covenant, but the Bible says the ark
      remained in his household for three months. As a Levite, he must have taken
      good care of the ark during that period. God blessed his household for
      keeping the ark. If we are also ready to be useful in the hands of God in
      all ways, God will bless us abundantly (Proverbs 3:9-10; 10:22; Malachi
      3:10-11).

      When people hate you, be good and continue serving the Lord. He will
      unexpectedly bless you!

      This message was first sent out on June 13, 2004.