WHO KNOWS THE HOUR?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012
      Dear Beloved,

      WHO KNOWS THE HOUR?

      "Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come�" (Ecclesiastes 9:12 NIV).

      The death of Reverend Josiah Adegoke Adeleke, my mentor, friend, and
      brother in Christ, in a ghastly auto accident with another friend, Reverend
      Chris Tayo Orodiji, on Tuesday January 11, 2005 is still a mirage to me. In
      spite of the fact that I was there at the mortuary giving them final bath
      and dressing in preparation for their burial, and the fact that I was one
      of those that lowered their coffins into their graves, I still find it
      difficult to believe that those two great men of God who died at their
      prime age in active service have gone forever. I will see them only in
      heaven when I also die or at the marriage feast of the Lamb after the
      rapture of the saints.

      Both of them were very intimate friends who had shared with me many things
      about our personal, educational, and especially ministerial endeavors. So,
      all the plans, dreams, and aspirations they had have gone with them
      unfulfilled! So, they have abandoned their promising ministerial careers
      for the rest of us! So, they will not publish those books they have written
      their outlines! So, they have left their pregnant wives and very young
      children behind to face the struggles of life alone! So, they have�.

      Their short lives and sudden death are indeed a challenge to the living
      that "Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble. He springs up
      like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not
      endure�. Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his
      months and have set limits he cannot exceed�. But man dies and is laid low;
      he breathes his last and is no more. As water disappears from the sea or a
      riverbed becomes parched and dry, so man lies down and does not rise; till
      the heavens are no more, men will not awake or be roused from their sleep"
      (Job 14:1-5, 10-12 NIV).

      Their short lives and sudden death are a strong confirmation of the words
      of Solomon, "'Meaningless! Meaningless!' says the Teacher. 'Utterly
      meaningless! Everything is meaningless,'" and "What does a man get for all
      the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun?"
      (Ecclesiastes 1:2; 2:22 NIV). What really are we living for if death can
      render everything meaningless within seconds without warning? Why are we
      struggling to become somebody on earth when it is certain that we will
      leave everything one day? This makes the words of Paul in Philippians 1:21
      relevant here: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (NIV).
      Living for Jesus Christ will make our living on earth meaningful and our
      death a gain for us. GOKE and TAYO lived for Christ and their death is
      indeed a gain for them and Jesus Christ. Who are you living for?

      Their short lives and sudden death are now a warning to me that I have to
      "discharge all the duties of [my] ministry" (2 Timothy 4:5 NIV). Again, the
      words of Paul to Archippus clearly come to mind: "See to it that you
      complete the work you have received in the Lord" (Colossians 4:17 NIV). I
      have to be up and doing because I do not know when God will also call me
      home. I do not know what people will say when I am no more. I do not know
      whether my Lord will commend me with words like, "Well done, good and
      faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you
      in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew
      25:21 NIV). I do not know�.

      Their short lives and sudden death are indeed a challenge and a warning to
      us to "Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to
      which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of
      many witnesses" (1 Timothy 6:12 NIV). If those two great men of God could
      die at their prime age, then, anyone may be the next to be called home.

      Let me conclude with these words of Solomon, "Moreover, no man knows when
      his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken
      in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon
      them" (Ecclesiastes 9:12 NIV).

      This message was first sent out on January 30, 2005. I am sending it out
      again in honour of these two late revered ministers of God.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2015

        Dearly Beloved,

        WHO KNOWS THE HOUR?

        "Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come?" (Ecclesiastes 9:12 NIV).

        The death of Reverend Josiah Adegoke Adeleke (1967-2005), my mentor, friend, and brother in Christ, in a ghastly auto accident with another friend, Reverend Chris Tayo Orodiji (1973-2005), on Tuesday January 11, 2005 is still a mirage to me. In spite of the fact that I was there at the mortuary giving them final bath and dressing in preparation for their burial, and the fact that I was one of those that lowered their coffins into their graves, I still find it difficult to believe that those two great men of God who died at their prime age in active service have gone forever. I will see them only in heaven when I also die or at the marriage feast of the Lamb after the rapture of the saints.

        Both of them were very intimate friends who had shared with me many things about our personal, educational, and especially ministerial endeavors. So, all the plans, dreams, and aspirations they had have gone with them unfulfilled! So, they have abandoned their promising ministerial careers for the rest of us! So, they will not publish those books they have written their outlines! So, they have left their wives and very young children behind to face the struggles of life alone! So, they have....