THE WEALTH OF THE WICKED

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2011
      THE WEALTH OF THE WICKED
      "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men
      succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes" (Psalm
      37:7, NIV).
      Have you ever thought that God prospers the unbelievers more than the true
      believers in Him? Then, you think that God is not worthy of your worship
      because after all, why do ungodly prosper and the righteous are in penury?
      In this way, some Israelites in Malachi's days became discouraged about
      their service to God, because to them, only the wicked prospered while the
      faithful were in abject poverty (Malachi 3:13-15). Was God partial? Their
      depression became an accusation of God's seemingly insensitivity to their
      deepest need. But can they measure God's rewards with momentary riches? What
      are true riches? Does that mean that some Christians are serving God because
      of what they would get in return, or because of who God is? Is amassing
      wealth through fraud, rituals, cultism, and all other dubious means true
      riches, or having inner peace with God? Jesus' words in John 4:23-24 are
      relevant here, "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true
      worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the
      kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must
      worship in spirit and in truth" (NIV). The fact that fraudulent people
      "prosper" should not make us to emulate them, or accuse God. It should not
      make us to worship the gifts rather than the Giver of all good gifts. The
      Psalmist had warned against such (Psalm 37:1ff).
      Nevertheless, not all Israelites in Malachi's days were anxious to get rich
      through ungodly means. There were some who knew that the Lord was good
      (Malachi 3:16-17). One of them was Malachi. He was contented. He testified
      that God still remembered those who relied on Him as the source of true
      wealth. What are the lessons for us? Testimonies about God and His
      reassurance are reliable and comforting even when we are in needs. God never
      abandons us, "´┐Żbecause God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I
      forsake you'" (Hebrews 13:5, NIV).
      Read Malachi 3:18-4:3, a clear distinction was made between the righteous
      and wicked people. Both of them have destinies. For the wicked, it will be
      eternal destruction with their riches! This is not annihilation, but total
      banishment from the very presence of God (see Matthew 25:46). What about the
      righteous? The righteous people will be healed, honored and renewed
      eternally. If this will happen, how would temporal "attractive" wealth of
      the wicked be compared with everlasting riches of the righteous? It is
      enduring, permanent and never devalued! Indeed, the righteous will indeed
      inherit the world (Psalm 37:9, 11, 22, 34, Isaiah 60:21).
      This message was first sent out on October 26, 2003.

      http://bibleverseofthedaybypastorbayo.blogspot.com/ for daily edifying Bible
      verses.