GOOD, BETTER, BEST

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2011
      GOOD, BETTER, BEST
      �Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made
      perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took
      hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.
      But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is
      ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called
      me heavenward in Christ Jesus� (Philippians 3:12-14 NIV).
      One of the songs I liked when I was in the primary school is: �Good, Better,
      Best/ I shall never rest,/ Until my good is better,/ And my better�s best.�
      The song was meaningless to me then until I became grown-up. It is what
      inspires me to strive higher. Yes, what I am doing may be good, but until it
      becomes better, and the better becomes best, I will not stop.
      Paul knew this secret. I am not surprised that he wrote the above passage to
      the Philippians towards the end of his ministry. Although he became an
      acclaimed preacher of the gospel because he worked harder than the rest of
      the apostles (1 Corithians 15:10; 2 Corintians 11:23-30). He improved on his
      achievements every day. He did not allow his �better� � the past successes �
      to deter him from getting the best, even when he was in prison.
      Why should I be contented with my �good�? Why should I not be satisfied with
      my achievements? Should one not be contented with what one has?
      Nevertheless, contentment is different from aspiration. Aspiration learns
      from the past in order to become the best, but contentment gladly accepts
      whatever happens as designed by God to achieve His good purpose for us.
      Therefore you can aspire for greatness, but be contented with what God gives
      you.
      Have you been doing something good? Make it better. If yours is better than
      others, do not rest on your oars, until your good becomes better, and your
      better is best!
      This message was first sent out on August 18, 2003.

      http://bibleverseofthedaybypastorbayo.blogspot.com/ for daily edifying Bible
      verses.