YOUR REAR MIRROR

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2011
      YOUR REAR MIRROR
      �Do not [earnestly] remember the former things; neither consider the things
      of old� (Isaiah 43:18 AMP).
      �Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made
      perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took
      hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.
      But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is
      ahead, press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called
      me heavenwards in Christ Jesus� (Philippians 3:12-14 NIV).
      Recently while I was driving to my office, I was trying to go through a
      by-pass to beat the notorious traffic jam from my home to my office. From my
      vehicle rear mirror, I discovered that some other vehicles were also
      avoiding the traffic jam. I was losing focus on my driving as I concentrated
      on the rear mirror, then it dawned on me that the rear mirror was not
      designed for long concentration. Indeed, anyone who concentrates on the rear
      mirror of his/her vehicle while driving is heading for an accident.
      Many people are also concentrating on the �rear mirror� of their life: their
      past experiences. It does not matter whether these experiences were good or
      bad. Such people allow those experiences to deprive them of the enjoyment of
      the present and the prospect of the future. Such people would find it
      difficult to face the challenges that accompany the enjoyment of the present
      and the prospect of the future.
      God, through Prophet Isaiah, told His people not to remember the former
      things nor consider the things of old, their �rear mirror� (see Isaiah
      43:18). The reason was that God was preparing to do a new thing in their
      lives so great and wonderful that it shall surpass the former things that
      God had done in their lives. In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul said categorically
      that he would forget the former things and press on toward the greater thing
      he was aiming at. He knew that concentrating on the former things could be
      disastrous.
      What is your own �rear mirror�? What is the former thing that is catching
      your attention? Are you still concentrating on it? No matter how good or bad
      the thing may be, do not concentrate your attention on it. Forget it and aim
      for a better thing. The Lord will do new thing in your life, but do not let
      the old thing deprive you of enjoying the new thing. Stop concentrating on
      your �rear mirror�!

      http://bibleverseofthedaybypastorbayo.blogspot.com/ for daily edifying Bible
      verses.